Samsung DVD-HD850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung DVD-HD850

Has anyone seen/used the Samsung DVD-HD850? Reason I ask is I'm looking for a new DVD player and its upconverison capbities are pretty interesting. The only thing I'm not sure of is that if i remember right the HDMI plug on the back of my TV is alot larger then the one thats coming out of the back of the DVD unit which is about the same size as a USB connection. My connectior at the back of my TV is about the size of DVI plug, i think...haven't had chance to look at it, yet. Does anyone know if the Samsung plug is larger on one end or do I need to invest into a converter, if they make them.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Are you sure that you don't simply have a DVI input on your TV and not HDMI?

I think Secrets is supposed to have authoritative reviews on DVD players. I can probably find the URL for you if need it.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
      Are you sure that you don't simply have a DVI input on your TV and not HDMI?

I think Secrets is supposed to have authoritative reviews on DVD players. I can probably find the URL for you if need it.
      I got myself confused...the cable box I have is DVI out and I have a DVI-HDMI cable I took a look at it when I got home.

I'm assuming the Samsung has a mini HDMI cable with a the standard HDMI cable on the other...but if you can hook me up with a review that would be sweet, since I'm looking for a new DVD player.

Comment

Remind me tomorrow if I don't get back to you but I was simply going to look up the Secrets site and/or check the AVS forums.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Samsung would not be my first choice for anything..

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
            Samsung would not be my first choice for anything..
            Can be any worse then my POS JVC DVD player I have now.

have any suggestions that are resonible that support HDMI and outputs DVD's to 720 or higher?

Comment

Why would you need to do this? If you want a better DVD player, the better its circuitry, the less it needs to send the processing chore to the video display, and upconverting dvd to 720p will not make the picture look any better, so why bother?

Comment

Re: Samsung DVD-HD850

Here's the link to the DVD player reviews on the Secrets site. I don't see the DVD-HD850 listed there. I only noticed one post on the AVS site and the comment was to wait for the reviews since a similar Samsung got poor ratings. You should check both Secrets and AVS for reviews on various players.

What is the make and model of your TV? You want to match the native resolution of your TV and the video processing (scaling, de-interlacing, etc.) can be done in the TV, DVD player, or in an external processor. Your TV may already have a good processor in which case you should let it do the work unless you want to pay extra money for a superior processor elsewhere.
                Last edited by xortam; 13 April 2005, 14:17.

Comment

Working...
                X