Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• find remote control for old TV

Hello,

My brother has a weird problem. He has an old (10+ years) Siemens TV that still works great, but the remote control doesn't work anymore. Many features are only accessible via the remote, but Siemens doesn't offer support for it anymore. He asked me whether I could find anything, ad will send me the typenumber of the TV and remote.

Considering his Denon home cinema amplifier has a programmable remote, I was thinking of using this. However, the 2 preprogrammed Siemens-choices are not adequate, and as his original remote doesn't work, we can't "learn" the new codes.

I was thinking of the following:
    If I were to find the codes for the remote control (in i.e. a Philips Pronto file CCF, or LirC file), I could use either his laptop, my Psion, his Palm or my Symbian phone () to learn his Denon remote (most software seems to read these config files).

Is there any software that allows a laptop (this would be the easiest) to be used as a remote?
    (software for Symbian exists in trial version, but it should work...)
    Does anyone know of a database of remote control config files?

Are there other (better?) things I could do?

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Google 'replacement remotes' - there are lots of people supplying them. You can get originals or (much cheaper) functional equivalents..
    FT.

Comment

Cool! It would be a lot easier.
      I checked some sites, but only this one http://www.remotecontrols.co.uk/ seems to have remotes for Siemens devices.
      (I'll let him know this!)

Thanks!

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

NP. I myself have been the victim of a tidy-minded 3-yr old, and never saw the hifi remote again!
        FT.

Comment

It's in that video-recorder you had to throw away cause something was stuck in it
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

LOL! I have an electrified metal film applied to my AV-centre cabinet doors to prevent that. I think this one went straight to the bin. It's not all bad - when the amp finally went pop, It gave me an excuse to get my RXV-420
            FT.

Comment

Just buy an universal mode remote control, I got 2 from philips that work great.
              Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
              Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
              Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

LOL@Umfriend

Reminds me of a friend of mine: some years ago, his son tried to put a waffle in the VCR. Oddly enough, the VCR accepted it, and pulled it straight in.

Originally posted by KeiFront
                Just buy an universal mode remote control, I got 2 from philips that work great.
                My brother's Denon remote is universal, but doesn't offer many required features (i.e. to program the TV); I have a universal Sony remote, but it has similar downsides. They only seem to offer the very basic commands (volume/channel).

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

another option is ebay
                  Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

A universal remote should have the codes for that old TV. Most TV manufactures only changes their codes every few years. Replacement remotes can often times be more expensive than a cheap universal that has the codes.
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                      A universal remote should have the codes for that old TV. Most TV manufactures only changes their codes every few years. Replacement remotes can often times be more expensive than a cheap universal that has the codes.
                      We tried two universal remotes. Both allow basic controls of the TV (channel selector, volume control), but not the more "advanced" features as channel programming and various adjustments (some require 2 keys to be pressed at the same time).
                      The replacement remote should offer everything the original one offered.

Jörg
                      pixar

Comment

Working...
                      X