Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrading RAM

Hi
    I´ve 2 x512 mb Kingston HyperX ( 5 nano- Dual mode) at the moment .
    I want to upgrade with at least 2 x 512 mb but if i buy 5 nano ram i´ll get the same speed as i have now ! and of course it´ll give me max. speed .
    Fore a few dollars more i could buy 2 x 1024 mb (slower speed 7,5 nano ) and i´ll get 3 gb ram (total) instead !
    Is it better to have 2 gb ram (fast) or should i get as much ram at a slower speed ?
    I know that even the slowest ram i much faster than any HD , so my own gess is the last surgestion . Videoediting and digital images is the main job !
    kind regards
    snedker

Are you pushing your FSB to the limits of the RAM and is your system still stable? Are your apps bottlenecking on memory bandwidth or elsewhere? If your not taking advantage of your current RAM speeds then you might as well spend the money on more RAM or somewhere else.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

What are you using on your computer that it needs more than 1 Gb RAM? I have 1 Gb on my video computer and I've never observed that it has been used up to max, even with complex renderings. In fact, it rarely goes over half that.

I seriously suggest that you will gain nothing for video editing. For digital imaging, you would need to do some really massive work to justify it. My old 4 Mpixel camera has a full resolution mode of ~12 Mb. Even if you double the pixels, you could get one massive number of files in 1 Gb of RAM.

Do you really need it or have you been taken in by the myth that if 1 Gb is good, then 2 Gb must be better?
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Hi
        Hm....... my FSB is 800mhz (asus P4C800-E-Deluxe , using PC3200 (DDR400)RAM , no overclocking is used ! . I´ve heard that more RAM always would speed up the processes ?.

Comment

Not always the case, though I do recommend 1g of ram for editing systems since the minimum for many software suites is 512 mb. I'd only go > 1g if;

1. I was doing heavy multitasking

2. my projects were very large

3. I was also doing large 3D projects with programs like 3D Stdio MAX, Maya or Lightwave 3D

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Just do some performance analysis on your current platform and see where the bottlenecks are. That will direct you to where you should spend your money. You could start with simply using the performance monitor under the Task Manager.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Thanks !
              I´ll do a little "testing" before igo further .
              snedker

Comment

Working...
              X