SATA controller recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA controller recommendations

Do you recommend a PCI-X or PCI SATA raid controller?

One that I can boot from as well.

Thanks,
    Elie

personal opinion... wait for PCIe SATA-II RAID controllers to come out later this year (if not already). Assuming ou can wait that long and have the cash for the PCIe infrastructure.

If you need something sooner, and want the best performance, then you go with PCI-X if you can aford the solutions.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thanks I found this, just don't know if it's PCI-X or not

Promise FastTrak S150 SX4-M 4-port SATA 64MB ECC, JBOD RAID $268

I'm going to check the Promise web site, hold on...

Comment

Ixnay... PCI rev. 2.2 compliant, 32-bit/66 MHz.

Highpoint has some: http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/sataraid.htm

As does Areca: http://www.areca.com.tw/products/html/pcix-sata.htm
        Areca's are supposed to be very, very fast, and support RAID 6 (2 drives can fail and you can still restore your data, however, it uses twice as much parity data as RAID 5, so you have less space).

And 3ware has some as well: http://www.3ware.com/products/serial_ata.asp

Just expect to spend a mint on any memory enhanced PCI-X RAID solution...

Jammrock

Comment

Just to make sure, I hope you realize that PCI-X is very different from PCI-Express. Totally different. Make sure you don't buy the wrong thing...
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Thanks, and yes I do know the difference, as I have both types of slots in my new workstation

Comment

Go for the PCI-X ones. Even the Dell Poweredges with SATA RAID I just got at work comes with only PCI-X RAID, even though it has 2 PCI, 2 PCI-X, and 2 PCI-E slots.

Average drive throughput: 15-60MB/s sustained.

PCI: 133MB/s.
              PCI-X: 4-8 times that.

Lots of things need massive bandwidth, hard drives aren't one of them.

I've been hearing complaints about 3ware lately - some serious data corruption issues, IIRC.

I've been working with the Silicon Image SATA cards lately, but not under Windows, so I can't really give much insight into them.

SATA-2 might be nice though, if you can get it. Protocol enhancements are nice.

RAID-6? Why? I think I'd prefer RAID-5 + hot spare.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Promise ones generally are 66MHz/32-bit which is OK. Note that I'm not sure if they support opticals (there's only Plextor 716SA DVD burner out but there will be more SATA opticals in the future). The ones marked SATAII support NCQ. Benchmarks have shown it only makes improvement in Windows boot and in single user scenarios makes for slight impact. They are also more expensive than SI (see bellow)

Silicon image chip based suppor opticals for sure but I'm not sure if they support SATA2/NCQ (the 4-port silicon image controller is not available arround here, so I haven't researched in depth).

As for slots - generally modern drive has a STR of ~50MB/s so as you add 2 drives you're aproaching 133MB/s limit of standard 32-bit PCI bus. I'd go for higher PCI if I were buying more than 2-port card. For plain 2-port it's OK.

I also have MPX board and I have put 4-port 66MHz/32-bit PCI Promise 150TX4 SATAII controller on my upgrade roadmap.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
                  As for slots - generally modern drive has a STR of ~50MB/s
                  that's max STR. Profile the whole thing and they're much slower in a lot of places.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                    Go for the PCI-X ones. Even the Dell Poweredges with SATA RAID I just got at work comes with only PCI-X RAID, even though it has 2 PCI, 2 PCI-X, and 2 PCI-E slots.

Average drive throughput: 15-60MB/s sustained.

PCI: 133MB/s.
                    PCI-X: 4-8 times that.

Lots of things need massive bandwidth, hard drives aren't one of them.

I've been hearing complaints about 3ware lately - some serious data corruption issues, IIRC.

I've been working with the Silicon Image SATA cards lately, but not under Windows, so I can't really give much insight into them.

SATA-2 might be nice though, if you can get it. Protocol enhancements are nice.

RAID-6? Why? I think I'd prefer RAID-5 + hot spare.
                    RAID-6 is just an option. 5+spare is another. RAID 6 is still more secure if it's absolute mission critical data. You can still lose your RAID 5 array if a second drive fails before the RAID 5 array is restored with the spare.

PCI-X is currently a faster option than PCIe, because most PCIe based mobo's only pack 16x and 1x slots. Only a very few of them have 4x and 8x, and even fewer (virtually none) peripherals exist, which is what you need to gain any perfomance advantage over the upper tier PCI-X slots/peripherals.

PCIe will [should?] eventually be the better choice, but PCI-X is the best for non-SCSI arrays at the moment.

Jammrock

Comment

So far there are only Areca PCIe RAID controllers.

What are you looking for here:
                      - just basic SATA card for more channels - 2 or 4 port silicon image is the way to go, maybe Promise, modern moderboards such as Thunder K8WE come with 4 onboard SATA channels which should be enough for a workstation
                      - RAID1/0 controller, consider Promise
                      - RAID5 controller for Terrabyte of storage (or close to that) - 3WARE is an option and other controllers, there was a RAID5 controller roundup recently somewhere but I don't have the link to review

Comment

It's primarily for throughput plus storage (NLE...video storage)

I was also considering this....

The advantages here of course is the fact that you do not use your powersupply, and the drives are easily accessable, plus the throughput here is awesome.

Regards,
                        Elie
                        Last edited by Elie; 11 April 2005, 10:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
                          Thanks, and yes I do know the difference, as I have both types of slots in my new workstation
                          Ooo, fancy!
                          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

LOL, I will post system specs shortly

Comment

Working...
                            X