Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT - Need a good (legal) program to convert DVD to AVI/MPEG

Hi,

I need a program to convert a legal DVD to MPEG or AVI for editing purposes.

One step program would be ideal as I just need to convert some footage shot for our company into a file I can edit.

Thanks

Kane
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Pentium 4 3GHz, 2Gb DDRRAM, Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ 512MB, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital, 3x Iiyama 4637 18.1" TFTs, Audigy 2 ZS, Matrox RT.x100, Silentmaxx Acoustic Case

There are lots of programs out there. Check out DVD Santa. It's fairly simple.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I seem to recall that some video editors will let you use a DVD source direclty.

Comment

DVD Decrypter is a free tool that allows you to decrypt and copy DVDs to your PC's hard disk. From there you can watch them, you can write them back or you can convert them to VCD / SVCD / DivX for burning onto CD-R / CD-RW.

DVD Decrypter can write most types of CD / DVD images via its 'ISO Write' mode, and it supports all the latest writers (including booktype / bitsetting on many of the major ones - i.e. BenQ, LiteOn, NEC, Plextor, Sony). You can even use DVD Decrypter to erase / format your rewritable media!

Advanced functionality can be found in context menus that appear when you right click on various bits of the user interface.

Comment

DVD Decrypter looks smart... Haven't tried the other one yet.
          Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Pentium 4 3GHz, 2Gb DDRRAM, Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ 512MB, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital, 3x Iiyama 4637 18.1" TFTs, Audigy 2 ZS, Matrox RT.x100, Silentmaxx Acoustic Case

Comment

Any time I need a piece of video or audio software, I check out this site:

Download free video and audio software. Old versions, user reviews, version history, screenshots.

It provides reviews, links, and is pretty wide ranging.

Jeff B

Comment

Of course Uleads editing products (VideoStudio 9 and MSPro 7 + SP3) do this natively

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Of course if your illustrious country enacted DMCA act, getting arround DVD encription isn't legal.

Otherwise, I second DVD Decrypter.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
                  Of course if your illustrious country enacted DMCA act, getting arround DVD encription isn't legal. ...
                  Well, they did specify it was "a legal DVD" so what's the legal issue? Read the post again.

My Panasonic burner came with similar SW (MPEG export of DVD-VR via DVD-MovieAlbumSE).
                  Last edited by xortam; 9 April 2005, 11:09.
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Doc said: "Of course Uleads editing products (VideoStudio 9 and MSPro 7 + SP3) do this natively"

Well, since you said it, I broke down and installed SP3, then ran through a fruitless series of attempts to get VEditor to import .VOB files from a DVD that I had made earlier of some home movies... no luck. I tried "convert", but no luck. None of the MSP VEditor entry points for handling files recognizes a .VOB file.

So, then I used DVDdecrypter to pull the files onto the hard drive. Still no luck. Then I spent some time in Help looking for some reference to DVD that might steer me in the right direction. No luck there, either. I launched MovieFactory 3 to see if there was any reverse conversion tool I could use, but didn't find anything.

I have used VEditor as a launch point to convert DV files into MPEG2, then launch into MovieFactory to create the DVD. That process isn't difficult to launch into, even without hunting around. But the reverse process that this thread is about seems to be very well hidden.

So, I give up... what's the procedure to "natively" convert files off a DVD into AVI/MPEG using MSP7.3?

Jeff B

Comment

Since they are on a distribution media they have to be "captured" into the computer, thus you use the CAPTURE tool, not the editor;

Original: http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php...ghlight=dvd-vr

Redux: http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php...ghlight=dvd-vr

Note that some DVD recorders use the conventional DVD layout of a Video_TS folder with *.vob files while some (typically those on DVD-RAM discs) use a DVD_RTAV folder with *.vro files.

Dr. Mordrid
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 April 2005, 19:19.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

tnx, Doc... no wonder i didn't remember that post, it was three yrs ago!

Jeff B

Comment

d'homme.

Comment

Well, unfortunately, the Ulead software doesn't really like my Sony DRU-700a... I can burn DVD's out of MSP7, where it launches MovieFactory2, and they sometimes come out okay. But never as consistently as the packaged Nero software (for that drive) will do it. I don't know what the problem might be with that drive and Ulead software, but since I have no problems importing my DV files into Nero and making DVD's to my satisfaction that way, I've long since abandoned using Ulead to do that, despite all the upgrades to MovieFactory3 (which I could never figure out how to get MSP to launch into... always had to launch into version 2).

The process you described to take files off a DVD, when using that drive, yields a VCapture error in <unknown>, then dumps VCapture out of memory, and crashes the system. Once this error occured, I ended up with BSOD's and all manner of crap when just bringing up VCapture after that. So, I did a complete uninstall of MSP7 and reinstall, and I'm leaving the process of handling DVD's to other software.

Jeff B

Comment

The latest patch, SP3, includes some work on the DVD-VR importation issue.

I too was having problems with discs created by our LiteOn 5005 AllWrite DVD recorder until applying this patch, then things worked just fine. The LiteOn creates a standard DVD Video (Video_TS/*.vob) layout and not the DVD-VR (DVD_RTAV/*.vro) layout.

Also: the LiteOn disc's still exhibit an importation problem about 20% fo the time in VideoStudio 9, with some chapters (usually the first one or two) failing to import but the rest importing OK. Obviously there is still some work to be done in VS9's DVD_VR plugin. Ulead knows about this.

Dr. Mordrid
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X