Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPS: serial or USB connection?

Hello,

I have a weird question: I've ordered a UPS (expect it next week), and am just looking at how I will connect it. The UPS supports both serial and USB port connection.

Is any of these better (regarding OS integration, waking up the PC, ...)?

The mainboard can be set to wake up via a com-port, but I'm not sure if/how this should be done to wake up via USB. I expect I'll have to use one of the USB ports that are directly on the mainboard (no hub).
    For this reason, I'm thinking serial is the best option (I have a serial port left), but I wanted to hear your thoughts on it.

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

VJ,

i have the Back-ups xs 1500 hooked up via usb. the only problem i have(..and it is very infrequent) is that when i wake my system up sometimes the system tray icon has an exclamatiion mark indicating an internal communication fault. the self test passes

my pc suspends after 1 hour of inactivity. i have tried the MB ports and the addin card ports...no change. susequent releases of software(4) have not changed the problem either..and i do not have anything scheduled that would require the pc to be awake.

as for the choice you are asking about...i like usb but i think there are power management issues...so serial imo would be a more reliable path for command and control...

cc

Comment

serial always/under anything works...

Comment

Ok, thanks! I assumed it, but wasn't sure if USB would give more features/benefits...

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

UPS has arrived (it is HEAVY ), and seems to work (apart from some software glitches).

A problem is waking up the PC. In bios, it offers the following:
          -wake-on-ring
          -wake-on-USB
          -power loss control: stay off / power on / last state

Wake-on-ring: the manual states it needs a cable connecting the modem to a wake-on-ring jumper, so I suspect this isn't possible with the internal comports (and presumably, it isn't possible with an external modem).
          Wake-on-USB: to wake up the computer using a key (spacebar) or a password on a USB keyboard.
          Power loss control: set the state of the PC after it regains power.

Using the power loss control, it is of course possible to have the PC start after the UPS has cut power and then restores the power. But is this the best way (it appears to be the only way) ?

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Working...
          X