Cell Phone Txt Messaging question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell Phone Txt Messaging question

Question, Is it possible for someone to spoof text messages? Say you have person A who is sending txt messages on their handset to you, but when you recieve them, they are coming from person B phone number?? Just curious since I have some stupid drama on my end, and I'm having a hard time beliving this can happen.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

If somebody spoofs an IMEI, they can appear to be a different phone.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Simplistically, if they have had access to your phone, then they can update your phonebook with their number appearing to belong to someone else's name entered slightly differently (eg with an extra space or something). Then at first glance, when you get a text from them it appears to be from the other person. Pretty easy to notice though.
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
        Simplistically, if they have had access to your phone, then they can update your phonebook with their number appearing to belong to someone else's name entered slightly differently (eg with an extra space or something). Then at first glance, when you get a text from them it appears to be from the other person. Pretty easy to notice though.

I doubt this happened, due to the cicurmstances. The person never had access to my cell. I'll have to check google to see if theres anything out there since the person who might have done this doesnt seem techincally savay enough to pull this off. I think its just BS...and the whole story is just drama.
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Well, you could of course always use the low tech approach and "borrow" the correct mobile to send a text message from there.

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

im fairly certain that when sending SMS through the internet to a cell phone, ie using one of these bulk texting services that give access to the phone networks through an internet portal/link, you can add a number of your choice in at the end which will appear as the sender number on the receiving device - this allows the receiver to respond to the message. However im not sure if there is an option to input a number that has already been alocated by the network providers. If you find out for certain wether or not its possible to spoof a number, please let me know as im currently developing a program which allows users to send messages over the GPRS network (not sure if you have that in USA yet, just high speed mobile internet), and it would be useful to also be able to direct messages from the internet to the SMS network for cheap, providing they looked like they were coming from the sending device. When i tried to figure this out i spent a week finding out no-body in the industry seems certain over whether its possible or not. Or at least they did not want me to know.
            is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
            Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Working...
            X