Splitting up a connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting up a connection

I'm making an enquiry about splitting my connection, I know with some routers it is possible. Though I was wondering what software I might use to do this? so my flatmates can browse/msn etc etc while I play online.

Andy

there is this package called "windows XP" which has simple internet connection sharing build in
    here is a how to:
    Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) enables a Windows computer to share its Internet connection with computers on local area networks. It's been around since

Others I have tried in the past, as in before I gt a router, was NAT32, Sygate and Wingate. of the 4, NAT32 was the best for allowing many applications to run without messing with port settings.
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I recommend cheap broadband router as the machine that is connected to modem has to be online in order for others to share network connection.

If others are just surfing while you're gaming and you can reasonably discuss issues/make reasonable rules this should not be a problem. There are problems only when one plans to use p2p (torrent, mule) heavily while others want to game - p2p + surfing is OK (a bit slower surfing).

Comment

Yup, routers free you of having the main "online" system up all the time.

Other huge advantages are that routers usually have a switch instead of a hub (faster) and many, like the excellent Linksys products, also have a NAT hardware firewall built in. Very nice and the basic wired models only run about $50-60 USD.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Linksys is pretty good, but you have to be careful about firmware.

I have an BEF-SX41. I switched from 1.44 to 1.50, the first/only "Cisco" branded firmware. I had to switch back. It can't handle large numbers of connections. For fun, I tried running Kazaa - it crashes the router, red light and all, every single time.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Many thanks for your replies guys

Thanks
            Andy

Comment

If you want to control/limit the amount of bandwidth each user gets then your choice of routers becomes very limited
              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Well advantage of routers is that they provide most of basic functionality a user and in some cases even a power user needs and they are cheap, easy to configure and use, silent and small.

If you want more functionality, you want to move up to dedicated linux running router/firewall box, where you get better DHCP, better rules for port forwarding options, better firewall and option for quality of service/packet limiting/filering. But such solution costs more, is harder to configure and maintain, takes space and is not silent unless you also spend more on cooling.

Comment

Working...
                X