Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• archive software

Hello,

What do you guys use for archiving software? I commonly had WinACE, but it still is at version 2.5 (dating back to 2003 )

Any good alternatives that support a lot of formats?

I'm looking at free alternatives: comments on ZipGenius, FilZip, ...?

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 1 April 2005, 01:18.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

http://www.7-zip.org/ maybe I'm using rar bye the way.
    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I use WinRar. Paid for it too!
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

7zip doesn't support ACE; I don't think WinRar does either...

For me, it should be able to compress/decompress: zip, rar, ace, lha, arj, cab, gz, bz2, tar.
        Anything more (iso, ...) is a nice addition.

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

http://www.tugzip.com/ then ace, rar and iso
          Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

WinRAR does, in fact, support ACE. In fact it supports it better than WinACE does, due to WinACE having not been updated in a darn long time.

That said, I use Winzip for Zip/GZip/Tar/UUE/CAB, and WinRAR for anything multipart (since Winzip does NOT handle multipart properly). I used to use PowerArchiver, but it is a lot slower than Winzip and less friendly than WinRAR. WinRAR is nice in that you can tell it to make itself a background task during gigantic operations (like unRARing an entire DVD) and it won't be a nuisance.

I also tried PicoZip, which was decent (and cheap) but at the time it had many bugs - there were some ZIP files which it just ... well ... FAILED to extract all of. I'd right-click extract, and not all the files would end up extracted.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by KeiFront
              http://www.tugzip.com/ then ace, rar and iso
              Looks very nice....
              I'll try this one!

You do seem to know your way around open source stuff, previously you had that partimage advice (which works perfectly, I might add), and now this...

Do you know of other "hidden" gems?
              (i.e. pdfcreator )

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                Looks very nice....
                I'll try this one!

You do seem to know your way around open source stuff, previously you had that partimage advice (which works perfectly, I might add), and now this...

Do you know of other "hidden" gems?
                (i.e. pdfcreator )

Jörg

Someday, finally, I'll clean up my links archive, put it on del.icio.us or something, and then your jaw will drop

Comment

Hehe I prefer open source software some are really good others just sucks, but the main advantage is you can fix the little bugs yourself or add a feature you really miss.

Comment

Originally posted by KeiFront
                    Hehe I prefer open source software some are really good others just sucks, but the main advantage is you can fix the little bugs yourself or add a feature you really miss.
                    I also try to find open source software, as you say, many are really good.

(but I don't venture fixing bugs or adding features... )

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

PowerArchiver and WinRAR

Comment

Working...
                      X