Clive Owen for Bond!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clive Owen for Bond!

Of all the possible replacements for Brosnan, I like Clive Owen the best. Plus he is a REALLY GOOD DRIVER. (See "The Hire".)
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

I haven't been all the impressed with his presence in current films, nevermind that he just doesn't fit as Bond (for me at least). Sean Connery set the mold and Brosnan redefined it; hard to live up to that legacy.

Though, given the current crop of "in" actors, Owen might just be the only plausible replacement. Unless of course they are looking to completely remake Bond...
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Which films are you referring to that you don't like him in?

I haven't seen "Sin City" yet but it looks to have an excellent performance by him.

I admit in "King Arthur" he was a bit silly, but be honest - would ANYONE have done that role well?

He's very much a George Lazenby-ish Bond, which isn't a bad thing - I loved "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" and wish they hadn't replace him.

At any rate, check out "The Hire" to see him in action, although he certainly wasn't bad in "Beyond Borders" or even in his bit part in "Bourne Identity".

But the simple fact is that they're working from a VERY short list of "distinguished, British, not old, tall, suave" actors.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

I'm with Gurm on this one - have thought the same for a long time. I've admired Mr Owen's work for years - he did a lot of TV work in the UK which you may not have seen across the pond, most of which is very good.

And to be honest we all watch Bond most on the small screen, so to have an actor who really shines on that format can only be a good thing
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Yeah, he does seem to be a good choice...he is suave but also with a touch of animal in him, just like Mr. Bond. Of course it all goes to waste if they keep coming up with those horrible scripts
          All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Well the problem of course is that in an ever-shrinking world, and with a bevvy of other action stars with which to contend, how do we keep Mr. Bond topical?

... but yeah I think that an examination of some of Clive Owen's earlier work would be helpful to those considering him.

Also, let's not forget that they picked Timothy "angry man" Dalton for a two-movie stint, for crying out loud!

Comment

i love clive owen.
              www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

but for the new Bond my pick is James Purefoy.

Last edited by Lizzard[MPE]; 29 March 2005, 10:09.
                www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Didn't say I don't like him, he just hasn't impressed me as of yet. Part of it is that I really don't see Bond in him. Get the feeling he'd be rather like the Dalton bond, though he does bear a resemblance to Lazenby.

Have to wait and see.

Comment

I think Clive would be a good Bond.

Comment

I would get on my knees and beg Brosnan to come back. He should be playing Bond until he's too old to get through all of "Bond, James Bond." I don't care if he's in a wheel chair or they have Maya him. Keep Brosnan.
                      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

actually on that note (Maya), they should just stick a young Sean Connery back into the movies
                        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Connery could still play Bond

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzard[MPE]
                            but for the new Bond my pick is James Purefoy.

ew. I agree with Clive Owen. I actually think Timothy Dalton made a damned good Bond.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                              ... I actually think Timothy Dalton made a damned good Bond.
                              Here, here!
                              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                              X