Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap LCD monitor, which should I go for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap LCD monitor, which should I go for?

They're having a clearance sale at one of the retailers here and two 17'' LCDs caught my eye: an LG 786LS (300cd, 400 contrast, analog) and a BENQ FP781 (250cd, 350 contrast, DVI-D)...both feature the same 1280x1024 resolution, 35ms access time (is that extremely crappy for video or usable?) and cost a little over 200 USD. I like the BENQs DVI, but it's ugly as sin design-wise, has integrated speakers (having a decent speaker setup, I hate this kind of redundancy) and poorer specs than the LG. What do you think is more important? I haven't found a review for the LG, but at the moment, though it lacks DVI, I am more tempted by it.

Thanks for any help
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

LG makes decent panels.

Of course, 35ms is in fact dog slow. Well think about it, you're getting LESS than 30 refreshes a second in a perfect world, and truthfully probably about 20fps maximum throughput.

You'll see some ghosting even when scrolling through documents at 35ms.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Yeah, I guess that just like with anything else, you get what you pay for...I'll probably wait more, the new models are also coming down in price pretty fast.

It's just that my (LG) CRT is beginning to do shit after 3 years of all-day use, things are getting kinda blurry

Comment

It's a crap CRT, then. I just bought a 19" Eizo CRT used off ebay, can't wait until it arrives. My 8+ years old Iiyama Vision Master Pro 17 is still very sharp with almost no geometry errors and beautiful colours (though it's getting a bit dim, was never the brightest to begin with), after daily use 12+ hours a day. I love that monitor! My newer Iiyama VM Pro 452 19" is muddy, has ghosting, unrecoverable geometry errors... it's shit, really. I'll never again buy a cheap monitor.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Cheap monitors are TEH SUKC.

I'm currently using a Samsung SyncMaster 955DF. Excellent clarity - but a cheap monitor nonetheless. After 3 years it is buzzing at 100hz, forcing me to step down to 85.

Nothing like paying the extra $$ for a good monitor in the first place.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Yeah, you guys do have a point...another store has a Sony HS-74/P for 400$ and an Eizo L557 for 50$ more. Is it worth saving the extra 50$ for the Eizo?

Comment

You live within shitting distance of the high-tech mecca of the world. Make a day trip and buy a nice monitor cheap, man!

Comment

You mean HK or Singapore? Bored of them already and the cost of the trip wouldn't make it worthwhile...seriously, though, is there such a thing as a cheap EIZO? Aren't they all supposed to be good quality?

Comment

The ACER AL1711S is preatty cheap over here (16ms)
                  According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I don't know about you, but I'd go insane looking at a 250cd/m display that only has 350:1 contrast.

Comment

some just buy a price, not a quality

Comment

I've bought a cheap Acer AL1912 a little while ago.

Great little LCD!

Comment

Working...
                        X