Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US court to Sony: STOP Playstation sales....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US court to Sony: STOP Playstation sales....

Ouch!!

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Sony is appealing the ruling before stoppage is required to take place.

THese patent lawsuits are getting out of hand.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I think this lawsuit is totally legit. It's not some fantasy patent. Immersion has some really good technology that they patented a long time ago, before Force Feedback ever came out. It's licensed by MS, Logitech, Boeing, Lockheed.....
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Sony doesn't have to stop selling PS now. They might have to if they can't settle or win in appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
          Sony doesn't have to stop selling PS now. They might have to if they can't settle or win in appeal.
          Because of the appeal, they don't have to stop selling. But they ARE required to pay compulsory licensing fees.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

And they will have to pay fees retroactively from when the first PS2 came off the assembly line. Immersion Technology just got a HUGE revenue boost both for past and present sales.

Punitive damages in a case like this are likely to be high: there will be no doubt as to how much harm Immersion was subjected to as far as missed revenue is concerned. In this case, Sony's violation was flagrant and will be adjucated accordingly.
            Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Yup, $90M is a nice chunk of change, considering Immersion is currently worth $135M, about 1/2 of what it was last year. The PlayStation would easily have been their most popular derivative product, so it makes sense that the judgement should be very high.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                Because of the appeal, they don't have to stop selling. But they ARE required to pay compulsory licensing fees.
                They should really have settled. MS did for 30M (if I'm correct). Sony will make the fortune of Immersion... (maybe they should just buy them out...)

Comment

Everyone ELSE licensed (well except MS who settled, of course).

Sony might TRY to buy Immersion, but odds are if MS was forced to settle instead of buying them, Immersion probably isn't for sale.
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Buy them out? Why?

Sony is going to pay them $90 million. Immersion is worth at least $135 million, and has been worth double that. Since it would be a stock buyout, Immersion's value would go up a good bit if Sony even thought of buying them out. What would Sony gain with their extra money spent?

Comment

I don't know if it's sony's style to buy external IP, but they are certainly stubborn in insisting they have invented something (the walkman, for instance; this lawsuit is another indication of them not accepting not having invented something).

AZ
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                      X