• Show
Clear All

• Extra special chili

Yummy

Wed, Mar. 23, 2005

Woman finds human finger in Wendy's chili

BY DAN REED

Knight Ridder Newspapers

SAN JOSE, Calif. - (KRT) - Wendy's chili is not made out of people - well, it is, but just a little bit.

Santa Clara County health officials confirmed Wednesday that the thing a woman bit on when enjoying her chili at a Monterey Highway Wendy's was, in fact, a human finger. They're not sure whose.

It was about an inch-and-a-half, with a longish, nicely groomed nail.

And while it gave the woman - Anna Ayala, 39, of Las Vegas - a bad case of the willies, it likely caused no physical illness, officials said.

That's because the finger was safely cooked, simmering along at 170 degrees with more traditional chili ingredients, such as tomatoes, beef and beans.

At about 7:20 p.m. Tuesday, Ayala, in town with her family to drop off her in-laws who live in San Jose, scooped up a mouthful of chili.

It was her first visit to a Wendy's. "I'm more of a Carl's Jr. person," she said Thursday night.

"Suddenly something crunchy was in my mouth," she said, "and I spit it out."

After much examination, she and her tablemates realized just what the special ingredient was. Then the vomiting commenced.

Police and county health officials were called to the Wendy's, but no one there was missing any digits.

"We had everyone kind of show us they had 10 fingers, and everything was OK there," said Ben Gale, director of the county's Department of Environmental Health.

In confirming it was a finger, the county medical examiner also found that it wasn't badly decomposed and had a solid set of fingerprints. Conceivably, officials said, police could lift a print and perhaps match it to a partially fingered person through a database. Then ask, what happened?

For now, officials figure - since it was a jagged cut - it may have happened on a meat grinder.

In any case, the county shut the Wendy's for a while and impounded all the remaining chili and all the ingredients used to make it, which is whipped up on site. They hope to track all the fixings to try to find the source of the finger.

It is, of course, possible it was planted by someone who wants to cash-in on a gross-out civil suit.

"That's certainly plausible," said Medical Examiner Joseph O'Hara, "but then where would she have gotten the finger?"

All involved say they've never experienced anything like it. And Wendy's spokesman Bob Bertini said never in the fast-food chain's 35 years has a body part showed up in the food.

Wendy's founder Dave Thomas always used to say, "Quality is our recipe."

Maybe so, but they might want to rejigger the chili recipe.

disgusting
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

It's finger licking good??? EW!!
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Hmmmmm.....tastes like chicken

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

"Could the rightfull owner please raise his finger?"
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

"the fingerprint will point in the right direction"
            Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

What a rag! The article I read yesterday was much more informative and didn't succumb to such sensational language.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                Hmmmmm.....tastes like chicken

Dr. Mordrid

Bleck!
                "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

She was arrested...

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Don't wanna register, but I can guess.. she put the finger in there herself, right?

Has anyone else seen The Big Lebowski and thought what a moron that girl was to cut off her OWN toe? I would have broken into a morgue or graveyard before cutting off MY OWN FRICKEN TOE.. especially when it's someone else's screwed up ransom scheme..

Comment

Don't wanna register
                      ***coughbugmenot.comcough***

``Wendy's has the money, and they can destroy a little person,'' a woman at Ayala's house who said she was her sister, but declined to give her name said early Thursday. ``What if my sister was a white man in a suit? The whole nation would have been sympathetic, but she's a little Latina.''

Comment

Wait wait wait...so she cut off her own toe and dropped it in?

Comment

Here's a Yahoo news link for the registration impaired.

Comment

Apparently this same woman has tried various 'victim' scams in the past also and not gotten anything out of it... so I guess she decided to go bigtime. I read a few news sites that said Wendy's corp is going to sue her for 100K+ in damages due to lost buisness at stores in the area where the fradulent incident occured.
                            Gotta love how they're going to try playing the race card also. Hope that finger was tasty, because its the last home cooked food she'll be getting for a while once shes tossed in the slammer. :P

Comment

Stick a fork in her.
                              She's done.
                              http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...-FINGER-DC.XML
                              Chuck
                              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                              X