IE6 keeps hanging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE6 keeps hanging

My IE 6 has recently been annoying. It frequently keeps hanging when I try to access a website by typing its address on the URL. I then have to close that IE window and open another one and it's fine.

Someone ever has any similar problem and find way to cure it or has clue what might cause this problem?

Thanks
    MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
    AMD Athlon 64 3200
    1024 MB PC3200 RAM
    WD 160 GB HDD
    2 x 80 GB Maxtor HDDs in RAID 1
    ATI 9500 64 Videocard
    Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
    Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM
    Windows XP Professional SP2

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Also do the standard spyware checks and then dump IE and use a better browser like firefox.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
        then dump IE and use a better browser like firefox.

Why stop at just telling him to dump IE? Why not tell him he should be running some Linux distro too?
        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef

Why stop at just telling him to dump IE? Why not tell him he should be running some Linux distro too?
          If he needs to do any real work he couldn't run that tinkering os, windows is the only choice.

Comment

Thanks for all the tries guys.

The knowledge base help didn't help since none of the problems and solutions seems to relate to mine.

I use Spybot's Search and Destroy, Microsoft AntiSpyware to scan but they didn't not pickup anything.

Yes when IE hangs, I occasionally use FireFox to replace its tasks temporarily. FireFox can't replace IE for good yet, at least to me since in with Firefox, scrolling pages seems sluggish. Also some media websites, Firefox can't render properly.

It's only happening recently with my Laptop with Win XP Pro /SP1, NOt the desktop yet!

I've realized that the problem occurs when the website address is NOT in the history yet. Clearing the history will make IE hung almost with all websites the first time accessing them, only fine after few tries.

Any other suggestions beside switching to other browsers?
            MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
            AMD Athlon 64 3200
            1024 MB PC3200 RAM
            WD 160 GB HDD
            ATI 9500 64 Videocard
            Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
            Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM

Comment

oh BTW, where is my sig???
              MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
              AMD Athlon 64 3200
              1024 MB PC3200 RAM
              WD 160 GB HDD
              ATI 9500 64 Videocard
              Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
              Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM

Comment

Originally posted by SuRGV
                ... Any other suggestions beside switching to other browsers?
                Yeah ... don't install a bunch of buggy/viral plug-ins and apps. Start with a fresh install of the OS (swappable boot drives or multiple boot partitions help here) and carefully load your apps and such while testing your system after each install (including rebooting the OS). I use IE and W2K (plus XP Home now on the HTPC) and I don't run into most of the problems that I see posted here. I've used the same W2KAS install that's been sitting on my Piii system for almost four years now. I'm careful about what SW I allow to run on my machine.
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I presumed you've cleaned out your cache. Crap Cleaner is good for getting rid off stuff.
                  Another good programme that points out nasties missed by some other programs is mwav.exe. Do a google for that. You'll have to delete the files manually but it's fixed quite a few IE problems for me in the past.
                  Try flushing the dns and also try LSPfix and remove all the entries and then do use a programme called winsockfix. They also do a good job of clearing up any leftovers. Remove any search toolbars you've installed. For some reason Winsock can make a slow machine run a lot faster in some cases.
                  Another programme worth trying is cwshredder. It's at version 2.13 last time I looked. Also try hijack this as show problems missed by other programs.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef

If you don't why IE isn't a good idea yet I don't know where you've been for the last five years.

I wouldn't advise anyone to use Linux as a main OS unless they're very technical or have a friend who's used Linux for many years.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Xortam,

Clean install would help but I hope its the last thing to do. Eventhough I already ghosted my system, there are many things I've installed after that. i.e. PHP, mySQL, Apache,.... and don't want to reinstall everything yet.

I've been quite carefull with installing apps on Laptop because its where I need to do many tasks that requires security. However, who knows even good apps may screw up your system.

The easy step to take for now would be upgrading to SP2 because I think it might fix what's been damaged in IE and if I contact Microsoft, they would first tell me to do the same thing. However, I can't afford my laptop go down for even few hours as I've having critical thing to do with it today and tomorrow. Who knows SP2 may break my system eventhough it runs fine on my desktop.

The PIT,

thats a lot of utilities. I will try when time permits. thanks a lot.

As I already explained, Firefox can't replace IE for me yet.
                      Linux is definitely a NO on my Laptop.
                      MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
                      AMD Athlon 64 3200
                      1024 MB PC3200 RAM
                      WD 160 GB HDD
                      ATI 9500 64 Videocard
                      Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
                      Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM

Comment

... Clean install would help but I hope its the last thing to do. Eventhough I already ghosted my system, there are many things I've installed after that. i.e. PHP, mySQL, Apache,.... and don't want to reinstall everything yet. ...
                        I recommended using a separate boot partition (I use a swappable boot disk on my old PC) and test your apps (and system patches) on a clean OS install. You can hopefully isolate the offending SW that way and then remove that SW from your production system.
                        ... I've been quite careful with installing apps on Laptop because its where I need to do many tasks that requires security. ...
                        Do you allow ActiveX to run on that machine? How about Java? Who knows what your getting when you let that stuff run wild?!

Have you tried just doing an IE repair?
                        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Xortam,

I've never made any changes to ActiveX settings in IE. Probably it's On ?

I did install Java as some legitimate websites require it (www.dslreports.com) to use thier apps. I just did a virus scan on my system with AVG 7.0 Free Edition and here are what AVG found:

These files were found each time I asked AVG to scan and then moved to Vault and got deleted. But somehow, they keep showing up.

I think my current problem may have been caused by these viruses. Will try to remove Java Runtime first to see if it helps.
                          MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
                          AMD Athlon 64 3200
                          1024 MB PC3200 RAM
                          WD 160 GB HDD
                          ATI 9500 64 Videocard
                          Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
                          Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM

Comment

Java removed.
                            AVG scaned again and found no more Java viruses