X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Debbie] another MPEG2 capture card

I found this on a well-know German internet store:

http://www2.alternate.de/html/shop/p...rtno=JK%23W03&

I couldn't find a review yet, and it's listed as "available soon" for quite a while now. Cheap, has video in as well as a digital cable tuner (digital as in digital processing for analog signals, not digital TV; you can tell by the very small tin box around the tuner components. An analog tuner has a much larger box)

It's a PCI card, not an external USB device. What caught my eye is the specs: they're using a DVxplore chip. Most cards use either Conexant chips (like the Hauppauge cards) or WIS (like the Plextor device talked about in another thread). Actually, the only exception I could find sofar is Canopus, with an excellent Panasonic chip (but it has problems with the ADC making it no good for american NTSC). Conexant must be doing good business...

The DVxplore chips from C-cube (now LSI Logic) were highly regarded when they first came out but apart from very good picture quality those cards also had problems with audio sync and other intermittant quirks. I've been reading up about it, it's not clear to me if this was due to the cards (the first generations of MPEG2 capture devices for consumers, using not-so-good drivers for Win95-98 etc.) or the chips themselves, but I am interested enough to order one of these once they are released...

If anyone has any information on this card (or found a review somewhere), please post your comments!
    Apulo

Apulo,

Thanks for the info. I'll have a look at my supplyer. If he has it, I'll give it a look and post here.
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

IMO MainConcepts realtime software capture engine delives better results than the C-Cube/LSI chipset did/does. Even the Ligos software capture engine is pretty good these days, which is what's used in the RT.X100.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I'll go for a software solution anytime. If the capture card can cope with it without problems. I still have in mind the Zoran chip on the Marvel and the hardware compression on the Pinnacle. As Doc. said, some software codecs are fantastic and would add the PicVideo MJPEG to what the good doctor has mentioned.

Debbie
        We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

Working...
        X