Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asus and cpu temperature

Hello,

My colleague has bought a new PC (asus mainboard, P4, ...). The bios reports the CPU temperature at 77°C (which obviously is too hot). He says the heatsink of the CPU cooler doesn't really feel very hot. He used a heatsink that came pre-equipped with thermal paste.

So, the first question: is the bios showing the correct temperature? (how can we determine this?)

Of course, the second question - if the temperature is correct - what could be the cause?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

if it's a p4, the heatsink must be properly seated. have him check that first (it can be a bitch to install on newer S775 models).

you can try using a probe to determine the right temperature (or close enough),but touching the heatsink won't help as you're probably too far from the heat source, so the effect is much less.

Comment

Yes, it is a P4. He'll check the heatsink further...

He just found there is a bios update that alters the CPU temperature calculation.
      However, the update dates back to August last year; it would suprise me that a recenlty bought mainboard wouldn't have this bios version.

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

beh...you don't know how long it's been in the distributor/reseller inventory...

Comment

He updated the firmware, and now his temperature is slightly higher...
          It is a 775 socket...

In Windows, it is idling at 55°C.

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Definately sounds like the Heatsink isn't seated properly but i suppose stranger things have happened...
            ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
              He updated the firmware, and now his temperature is slightly higher...
              It is a 775 socket...

In Windows, it is idling at 55°C.

Jörg
              Not sure I am getting the whole pic, but my 775 P4 idles at 57C Windows idle and with 43 processes running, so 55 should be ok no?

Have my hw monitor in bios set to alarm at 70 and have yet to hear it moan even while running flatout during DVD encoding for hours on end.
              Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by LvR
                Not sure I am getting the whole pic, but my 775 P4 idles at 57C Windows idle and with 43 processes running, so 55 should be ok no?

Have my hw monitor in bios set to alarm at 70 and have yet to hear it moan even while running flatout during DVD encoding for hours on end.

Wow, I didn't realise that the 775 P4's ran that hot normally. My AMD 3500+ idles somewhere around the 46-48C. I knew they ran a little warm as seems to be the way with AMD chips but i thought that the Intel chips still managed to be a bit cooler (except for the eggfryers that are the Socket 478 Prescotts)...
                ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

Comment

Originally posted by LvR

Hmm, interesting...
                  But at bootup, in the bios it shows 77°C (which is kind of hot, and what caused the worry initially... ).

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

Bios says about 54C here.
                    Lawrence

Comment

At boot/post CPUs run hotter then in Windows (Windows since NT4.0 issues halt command when idle). My overclocked dual athlons post at about 50-53°C and then idle at 47/50°C.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
                        At boot/post CPUs run hotter then in Windows (Windows since NT4.0 issues halt command when idle). My overclocked dual athlons post at about 50-53°C and then idle at 47/50°C.
                        Sure - but its a huge function of exactly when you decide to look at the temps in the bios/Windows after doing whatever serious work and after allowing it to cool for a period of time.

My guess is with a machine thats been on for about an hour with Windows doing nothing interesting, you shouldnt really find too big a temp diff when comparing CPU temps under Windows and bios after having just shut down Windows and immediately rebooting and looking at the bios reports.
                        Lawrence

Comment

lvr: yes, the difference (77°C at bootup, 55°C idling in Windows) just seems to big...

UtwigMU: FWIW, my dual Xeon idles at 30-35°C , and barely reaches 55°C under full load (the mainboard gets hotter though); I believe it posts at somewhere around 40°C-45°C.

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

My Asus/P4 HTPC (P4C800-E Deluxe / P4 2.8c [Northwood]) normally runs at 56°C CPU and 26°C MB whether idle or not. It may go up 2 or 3 degrees at high ambient temperatures and under heavy load but the fan speeds and GPU temp (during the rare gaming session) are really all that changes in my system.
                            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

The Athlons are overclocked from 1.866 to 2.66 and overvolted to 1.775 (mobile Bartons 2500+). I have also turned down fans a bit, they run cooler and quieter at lover voltage than regular 2500+ Bartons used to run at.

Comment

Working...
                              X