Weight Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Loss

Came out of the winter shell today, nice public holiday, did my spring cleaning...

Decided I *should* step on the scales to see how much damage relationship stress and winter has done - egad.
    scales - being lovely digital smart ones - requested one at a time please.

so, knowing most of us are comming out of our winter hibernation, who is up for a little friendly weight loss competition.

rules:
    don't want to know what you weigh, if you don't want to share thats cool.
    No loosing at a rate that is not helthy.
    Set a time frame, and a weekly loss target of 1kg, 2 pounds or whatever, but has to be a safe level.
    We check into the thread weekly, and report how we went with the target.
    We cheer each other on, and encourage each other if we have problems.

What say you?
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

I'll accept the challenge
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I probably should accept the challenge but i'm fairly certain that i have too much Will power and not enough Won't power...

I WILL eat the junkfood
      I WILL sit around inside watching TV or being on the PC
      I WON'T bother eating healthy
      I WON'T bother exercising today cause it's...

You get the idea
      ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

Comment

Hehe, I think that is possibly most our problem.

Hence a support/challenge thread
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

In my case, it should be that I gain more than you loose

Edit: WE GOT OUR SMILIES BACK (Last just to test and watch)
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Supposedly successful permanent weight loss works this way..

1) do weight training to build muscle (which will increase metabolism and burn fat)
            2) drink protein shakes to maintain the muscle
            3) eat natural non processed foods (oatmeal, fruits, veggies, chicken breasts, fish)
            4) eat every 3 hours you are awake
            5) eat NO LESS than 20% fewer than your maintainance amount of calories/day (or your metabolism slows down and you stop losing weight)
            6) 2lbs a week is the maximum healthy loss rate.. any more is likely lean body mass
            7) do aerobic exercise such as running or swimming (can alternate days with weights)
            8) stop drinking cokes.. instead drink unsweetened tea and orange juice
            9) substitute yogurt for ice cream
            10) cheat just a LITTLE

Lost 15lbs that way.. then cheated too much but maintaining
            Last edited by KvHagedorn; 21 March 2005, 03:56.

Comment

2. NEVER EAT PROTEIN SHAKES!! ... unless you really want kidney problems. I ve had to many young men coming in with total kidney failure, due to eating protein supplements. Eat a normal healthy diet instead, with a normal diet you get enough proteins anyway, even when you are building extra muscles.
              9. Yougurt contains the same amount of calories as normal icecream, only the fat content is reduced and the carbohydrate level is increased.

The rest is very good advice.

JD
              Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Comment

How many shakes per day were they drinking?

Comment

I've been following fairly much what KvH just outlined (without the protein shakes though ) - I have lost ~20 pounds so far this year and am feeling much fitter than at Christmas - this is the first proper regular exercise I've been doing since university >5years ago. Also a lot lot stronger than just a couple of months ago. Still plenty more fat to go though.

I am doing this in competition with a friend. We weighed in just after new year, and will have official weigh-ins quarterly for the whole year. Each quarter we put a hundred quid into a central pot between us, split in favour of the one who has lost the most weight (proportionately). Should be a nice bonus for the both of us at the end of the year. And as we are doing it over the whole year, there is incentive to (a) not lose weight too quickly and (b) keep it off - ie change habits permanently.

Oh and cutting back on the beer was a step it was v. v. evident I had to make...

Will happily join in with Dan and Tech - if you really really want info then being the person I am I have a lovely big spreadsheet tracking my weight. I am following a plan that is a simple quadratic curve...
                  DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Exactly, having people to do it with, and a bit of an incentive to go along with it, helps.

Sept last year, I was down to a slightly cudly 95kg, scales today were 14% or so less kind.

Anyone else... maybe we can all submit details to GNEP and ask him nicely to produce a graph for us.

*not specific weight, but something to show percentages and nice feedback towards goal
                    Juu nin to iro

Comment

I'm up for that.

Also like the gremlins no food after 8pm.

Could be done by BMI I suppose.
                      Last edited by Fluff; 21 March 2005, 04:25.

Comment

Here is a good article on protein shakes:

Apparently the danger lies in consuming more than you use, and not drinking enough water.

I never drink more than one or two of the things per day, do the weights, and drink plenty of water, and haven't had any ill effects that I noticed. It's an easy way to get enough protein without eating a lot of meat (and usually fat along with it)

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                          Each quarter we put a hundred quid into a central pot between us, split in favour of the one who has lost the most weight (proportionately). Should be a nice bonus for the both of us at the end of the year.
                          And that from someone who claims to be in finance... Simply had to use them old smilies again.
                          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Happy to be spreadsheet-boy

Any graphs will, of course, be made dimensionless on the weight axis... anonymousnous will be respected.

Feel free to pm me, email me, or try using telepathy.

during london work hours, george dot pitt at (the big oil company with a yellow and red logo) dot com gets to me the quickest...
                            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I shall let you know exact weights after i weigh myself in the morning.
                              danke sir.
                              Juu nin to iro

Comment

Working...
                              X