DSL Router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL Router

I need to rebuild our home LAN, and I'm planning to do it with an all in one Router-DSLModem-Firewall.

At the moment we have an old linux Internet server, which we would like to get rid of for several reasons, two being noise and power consumption.

All the DSL Routers I checked only have 4 LAN connectors, but we need more than that. Is it possible to just put a switch in between?

Also I'm just looking for recommendations for a router, WLAN would be nice, though its not really necessary.

Modem is not neccessary as it's bundled with ISP a lot of times and if you switch from ADSL to cable or vice wersa, you may need to replace modem.

You can plug a switch, I recommend gigabit switch as HDDs are already saturating 100Mb LAN. You can also get wireless access point sepearately when/if you need it.

Otherwise, if you use software that requires port forwarding (file sending with IM, DCC in mIRC, eMule, DC++, Teamspeak server, azureus)... you will find out that Linux PC gives you a lot more options over configuration. Some apps support UPNP and some routers support UPNP, so they autoconfigure port forwarding, but UPNP doesn't work always. Look for router with most possible rules for port forwarding and ability to configure them and rules for firewall. Firewall enable/disable without rules is pretty much useless.

Another problem with routers is that some may not like certain NICs or drivers and not work well for games (for instance I required a firmware fix for 2 conqurent gaming clients. Also if you subject them to heavy p2p that oppens a lot of connections, some routers will have problems (lock up requiring a reset).

A nice feature to have is client for dynds.org dynamic DNS service built in router that updates your DNS record when your WAN IP changes (my levelOne does this).

Generally I'm happy with my LevelOne FBR-1405TX for the price and it generally works (a reset is neccessary 2-3 times per month), but I'd like more options for port forwarding (it can't forward ranges and has only 20 rules), more options for firewall, better stability and possibility to reserve certain IPs with DHCP server, based on MAC adress of machine that I want to have that IP.

So I'll probably move to some kind of linux router in the future.
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 20 March 2005, 06:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Topha
      I need to rebuild our home LAN, and I'm planning to do it with an all in one Router-DSLModem-Firewall.

At the moment we have an old linux Internet server, which we would like to get rid of for several reasons, two being noise and power consumption.

All the DSL Routers I checked only have 4 LAN connectors, but we need more than that. Is it possible to just put a switch in between?

Also I'm just looking for recommendations for a router, WLAN would be nice, though its not really necessary.
      You can withgout any problems add a switch behind the router, at work we have over 10 switches "daisy chained" behind the main router.

I'd recomend a netgear router, their latest models are quite good.
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I here have a linksys 4port wireless router hooked up to another switch ( actually my old 8 port linksys router with DHCP disabled)
        for wireless, the Linksys routers are especially nice, as they run some version of linux and hence there are aftermarket firmwares available.. allowing you to boost the outpuit power, should you need that
        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
          Modem is not neccessary as it's bundled with ISP a lot of times and if you switch from ADSL to cable or vice wersa, you may need to replace modem.
          In the UK all the ADSL providers supply USB based modems which wouldn't be much use with a router In any case who wants two boxes when you can have one
          When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I'd suggest going with a separate switch and modem, as Utwig mentioned.

If you change from DSL to cable to satellite to multi-modem to T1 to FTTH (etc), you'll still have the same setup for everything after the ethernet cord to the modem.

I recently got a Netgear WGT624 - 4 port + WiFi. There are 8-port gateway/switches available (Linksys BEFSR81, one from D-LInk, etc.)

Components are always more flexible, but often also more costly, than all-in-one units.

- Steve

Comment

I have a Linksys (Cisco's consumer division) Cable/DSL router/switch/NAT firewall) with a Linksys 8 port switch to branch out the network and this rig works great. I've used it with both cable (MediaOne and Comcast) and DSL (SBC) with no problems at all. Switching over took <5 minutes.

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Well, this is for my parents house, and all they need is the internet to be always on when they switch on their PC's, work and home, so a Linux server is a kind of overkill

And we'll probably stay with DSL for quite a while (never say forever ), so an itegrated modem would also be nice, it would be one less box to irritate them, and its easier to check when something is not working right, too.

Very glad to hear that putting switches in is possible. I guess I'll go with a netgear one then.

Thanks a lot

Comment

Linksys ag041 works for me, integrated modem/router/4 port switch and decent fire wall as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X