Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music on the move

Hey all,

I'm looking for something portable to store a lot of of my tunes on. I've been looking at i-pods/i-river etc but I'll be honest I dont really know what to go for. Plus I dont want to spend too much on it being a student I have other priorities ..hehe

Any recommendations would be great.

thx
    Andy

I <3 my iPod Mini.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

First you need to decide between HD based and flash based player. If you plan to exercise, jog, dance... you want a flash player, moving parts (hard disk player) is only good for plane, bus, office use.

Now that 512MB-4GB of flash is possible, you can fit reasonable amount of music for a day's independance.

Ipods are overpriced (especially in Europe) and generally don't offer compelling advantage over competition in the flash segment. For HD based players they are better.

Comment

Thanks for your replies and it looks like I will take a closer look at Flash based players

Comment

I love my little muvo squared, really good battery life and it plays wma's.

They get to around 4GB and only cost about £120, last time I looked.

Comment

Question: what does "good battery life" mean now in case of mp3 players? I remember that not so long ago their bettery life was imho pathetic...
            Can new ones beat my walkman? (at least 80 hours)

Comment

Good battery life for me is 10-12 hours of playtime. Only takes about 2 hours to fully recharge.

Comment

If you already have storagecards (i.e. for a digital camera), it can be interesting to take this into consideration.
                Nex has a player which uses CF cards (az can comment on this, he has one), other manufacturers have players for SmartMedia cards, SD or MMC cards, ...

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
                  First you need to decide between HD based and flash based player. If you plan to exercise, jog, dance... you want a flash player, moving parts (hard disk player) is only good for plane, bus, office use.
                  Gotta disagree with that. The last few generations of mobile HDs, and mobile players, have been very much improved. I see lots of iPods at the gym, even on the treadmills.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                    Gotta disagree with that. The last few generations of mobile HDs, and mobile players, have been very much improved. I see lots of iPods at the gym, even on the treadmills.
                    to add to that, i've taken my iPod on 5 mile runs without adverse effects so far. Apple advertises their products as being safe to jog with, and it does have some RAM to help buffer it.
                    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

pitty the shuffles don't have displays
                      I'm about to get a 512MB Canyon for myself and a 256mb version for my bro's b/day. Got the occasion to play with them at work, sound/playback is good, FM signal strong and can record up to 8 hours for the 512mb version

Comment

i am considering either an Ipod or a Zen Xtra

but i am more inclined towards the ipod since it offers a line level ouput option
                        Last edited by SpiralDragon; 21 March 2005, 14:03.
                        "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Originally posted by SpiralDragon
                          i am considering either an Ipod or a Zen Xtra

but i am more inclined towards the ipod since it offers a line level ouput option
                          If you're worried about input/output, I strongly suggest looking at iRiver's products. They have digital in/outs.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                          X