help me pick my next video card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me pick my next video card

One of my dev PCs is currently running a P650. I'd like to get into some graphics programming and want to get a better video card for it. It's a P4 3.2GHz so I've got the horsepower I need. Trouble is that it's an AGP motherboard in a Shuttle XPC.

I need something with dual DVI and DX9 support (sorry Matrox...). Also, because it's an XPC, I think nVidia is out because the power supply isn't out to their steep requirements.

So far I've not been able to find a Dual DVI, AGP card with an ATI GPU.

Does anybody know of one? Further, I'd buy nVidia if there was a card out there that could support my needs and worked in my XPC.

Thoughts? Ideas?
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

check ebay for older fire GL / Quaddro cards.. depending on which one you get, you should be able to get DX9, without paying the insane high prices of such new cards
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

something like this does DX9 and has dual DVI.. not sure how much power it takes though

We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

What about a PCI card? Do you need AGP speed?

Comment

I already have a PCI video card (3 monitors total). But you've given me an idea. Maybe I can get a dual DVI PCI card and single monitor DX9 dvi card.

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
            check ebay for older fire GL / Quaddro cards.. depending on which one you get, you should be able to get DX9, without paying the insane high prices of such new cards
            Price isn't that much of an obstacle. I'd rather buy something new, with warranty.

Comment

I would check out the graphics support from the application side if you plan on using it as a graphics SW development and/or test platform. Some chips and boards probably have better support than others which may influence your buying, depending on the depth of your needs.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Ok, I think I'm gonig to get an ATI AGP 9800Pro 128MB and a Matrox P650 PCI.

Now I just have to decide if the ATI retail 9800Pro card is woth the extra $60 over the PowerColor version.

Anybody have an opinion on this?

Comment

Have you looked at the SW development tools or is this just something you think you might get into some day.
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I want to be able to do some dx9 programming (and maybe even play some dx9 games) on a card that can actually run them.

Comment

Hey, when you do this upgrade, can you send the 650 to me? I feel bad because Matrox has exited my life... I'm going to scam a G450 or G550 off a guy here in town that's upgrading his machine, but it's just not the same as a relatively modern Matrox card, y'know?
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

How about this card?

XFX GeForce 6600 GT

Its AGP, dual DVI, and you should be able to play 3D games on it for a while.
                        Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                        MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                        Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                        Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Sorry Gurm,

Although I like the idea of sending my P650 to a fellow MURC'r, someone who can make use of it, I already have a new home in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by mmp121
                            How about this card?

XFX GeForce 6600 GT

I think he specifically said he did NOT have enough power to run those crazy-hungry nVidia cards.

nVidia - our motto is "who gives a crap about the environment or good engineering? Let's use our stolen designs to make gigantic heat sinks and market them to retarded FPS kiddies!"
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by mmp121
                              How about this card?

XFX GeForce 6600 GT

I've never heard of XFX before. I don't think that they sell to Canada yet (at least not through any of the major tech distributors like Ingram, Synnex, Tech Data, Supercom, etc). I'd want to buy this through distribution so I don't have to pay retail.

I've already ordered the PowerColor 9800Pro. It should do fine for what I need for the next year at least. And I'm glad that I get to keep a Matrox part in my PC too!

Comment

Working...
                              X