Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memory card madness... help...

Hello,

Ok, I need some help concerning the range of memory cards.... So, can anyone answer my questions:
    1. Can MMC cards be used in SD devices?
    2. In what way are RS/MMC and miniSD interchangeable (in for instance an SD device)?
    3. There are adapters to make an MMC card from a RS/MMC card. Can the obtained MMC card be used in an MMC to CF adapter? And what about in a SD to CF adapter (prob. related to 1.)?
    4. There are adapters to make an SD card from a miniSD card. And finally, can the thusly obtained SD card be used in an SD to CF card adapter?

Reason for asking: I'm looking at a PDA with an SD slot, but my mobile has an RS/MMC slot, and my camera a CF-card slot. It would be fun (but also useful) if RS/MMC cards could be used in all three, just by using a correct adapter.

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

1. yes, if they don't require whatever makes sd cards "secure" (encryption or drm, dunno)
    2. dunno - I think they have different form factors. Both should work in "big" SD slots with their adaptors, though.
    3. I don't see why this shouldn't work
    4. ditto

But I have NO personal experience from this, so take this with a few kilograms of salt

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

The RS/MMC will work just fine (with the full-size MMC adapter) in your PDA. If a device is specced as MMC-compatible (like your phone), SD or miniSD generally DO NOT work...this has been a tested scenario with MMC Siemens and Nokia phones.

So, yeah, basically you should be fine with using a RS-MMC card in all your devices
      All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Great minds do think alike: I had the same ideas...

So if we are correct, this means that if I were to use RS/MMC cards, I could use them in all said devices (PDA doesn't *need* the secure aspect of SD)...

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

On a side note, which PDA are you getting to replace your trusty Psion?
          All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Actually, I'm looking at the Garmin 3600a. Priority usage would be navigation, PDA usage is interesting.

After seeing the display on my Nokia 6260, the Psion is really showing its age . But despite that, it still has its uses.

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

I actually have a Garmin 3600!! and I can tell you the navigation works very well (which is also what I use it for).
              Laptops: ASUS G750JM: Intel Core i7 4700HQ, 8GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Nvidia GTX 860M, 1 x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, 1 x WD 750 GB HDD, 17,3" FHD Screen, Windows 8.1 64-bit.
              ASUS Vivobook S400CA: Intel Core i5 3317U (1,7-2,6 GHz), 8 GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Intel HD4000, 1 x 500GB HDD, 14" touch-screen (1366x768), Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Comment

Originally posted by JTD
                I actually have a Garmin 3600!! and I can tell you the navigation works very well (which is also what I use it for).
                Euhm, navigation: in car use, or in plane use?
                (I'm thinking of getting it for use in aviation, the 3600a has a cradle wich offers some dedicated buttons that are useful for this situation)

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

Do you know the difference between the 3600 and the 3600a ?
                  I can't find the a version on Garmin's website.

I use mine in the car (don't have a license to fly ), and the cradle that came with mine doesn't have any buttons at all (i have to use the buttons on the pda).
                  Laptops: ASUS G750JM: Intel Core i7 4700HQ, 8GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Nvidia GTX 860M, 1 x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, 1 x WD 750 GB HDD, 17,3" FHD Screen, Windows 8.1 64-bit.
                  ASUS Vivobook S400CA: Intel Core i5 3317U (1,7-2,6 GHz), 8 GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Intel HD4000, 1 x 500GB HDD, 14" touch-screen (1366x768), Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Comment

Here you go:

(it is just a successor of the 3600, adds more memory, and the specific aviation cradle - as shown on the picture)

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

Working...
                    X