Anyone want to try this one out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone want to try this one out?

I got this from all places the Post Security officer that I work at.

Opening Vehicles with Keys and Remote Button Locked Inside: For ANYONE who has a car that can be unlocked by the remote button on their key ring, the keys are locked in the car, and the spare keys are at home (and "OnStar" isn't an option), here is an answer to the problem! If someone has access to the spare remote at the owner's home, call them on a cell phone, hold the cell phone about a foot from the car door or from the remote controller antenna, and have the person at home press the unlock button, holding it near the phone. THE CAR WILL UNLOCK! This will save someone from having to drive the keys to your location. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away and, if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for the car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk, or have the "horn" signal go off, or whatever)!
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Sure, ship me your car and we'll give it a try!
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

I'd be kinda surprised if this worked, since I doubt that cell phones encode and transmit those frequencies.

Second, I'll make an uneducated guess that there's a remote chance that this could damage the transmitting phone, by having another radio transmitter very close to it, and trying to capture that signal in its audio circuitry.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Only when cell phones have the ability to transmit the carrier of 433MHz or 315MHz, depending on who makes the keyfob will I think it is even remotely possible.
        the standard GM keyfobs use microchips Keeloq encoder / decoder, which via a simple transmitter transmits a frequency hopping code, using on off keying on a carrier of 315MHz. their biggest dedicated decoder chip btw. can only handle max 7 different keyfobs.
        I used them in one of the projects here at work
        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I wonderd if what the remote sends is coded pulses (not fm).
          I have NO reason to think they work this way except to get this to work.
          In which case the preamp in the sending cell phone might pick up interference from the key and send those pulses.
          That would get the siginal to the remote phone.
          But, how it would leak out of the remote phone to the car I can't even guess...
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

I don't think this works, for the reasons detailed above. But there is a neat device you can install in your car, which will unlock upon knocking at the window with the correct rhythm only once (then you must change the rhythm).

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Rumor: Any cars equipped with remote keyless entry systems can be unlocked via cell phone.

Sadly, a hoax

Comment

A spare key hidden somewhere in the body work helps a lot in these situations, a very good idea if you do a bit of camping/4wding. And a bit of wire can work in other situations

Comment

I'd be very suprised if this worked...

What does work (has been demonstrated on Top Gear), is extending the range of your remote by holding it to your head. You just point the remote at your temple (closely), look at the car, and the remote will work for greater distances.
                  As to why one would need it, is a mystery....
                  I have no idea (and they haven't mentioned anything) regaring health consequences.

Jörg
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Y'know, you can also control people's minds over the phone by transmitting simple noises from your kitchen blender! It's true!
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                    X