X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vs2.0

Hey! Guys.

I asked an amazing problem to Lavalys.

He said Parhelia have a VS2.0 in hardware level.
    Matrox Parhelia(FR) 128MB with ZALMAN ZM-GWB1
    My Matrox history:G550, Parhelia

Yes,he is right about that.
    ASUS P5B-E ;2GB G.Skill DDR2 Ram; C2D6420;lub 3D X1950pro ;SoundBlaster X-Fi;WinXP

Comment

PS is 1.3 though, so DX9 is not possible.

This year refresh will be PS and VS 3.0, while there might be a step up for Avalon/Longhorn, so coming with new PS3.0 card right before Avalon and with changed specs would not be wise.

Comment

quoteing the link

When I asked this question to Matrox, they said "Matrox Parhelia VS version is 1.1 and PS version 1.3. We don't know why EVEREST gets the information like that. And we don't know how EVEREST gets the information."

ROFLMAO
        is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
        Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

At the time of P release, matrox said it had enough hardware to do vs2.0, but a good chunk would be done in software becasue it was not to a CPU intensive operation. Since then matrox has revised history and all specs that stated it was going to have vs2.0 have disappeared along with the engineers who could have actually done it.... so no, it does not have vs2.0

Comment

About Everest talking

Haig said.
            Usually, our competitors would say that they do a feature when in reality they can't and here you have the total opposite with us

Seriously, this report is not true. I don't know what Everest is doing to determine this but there's no way that our Vertex Engine instruction set is for 2.0. I confirmed this with our GPU & Vertex engine architects.

Besides, how in the world did they manage to read all our transistors?
            Matrox Parhelia(FR) 128MB with ZALMAN ZM-GWB1
            My Matrox history:G550, Parhelia

Comment

haha, suddenly I wanna work a Matrox. Too bad they don't hire co-ops.

Comment

Matrox Marketing department is the key here. Originally, Was the VS 2.0 compliant VS units just misundertanding between technical and markting side? Or is it just that there is actually VS 2.0 units, but they are so awfully slow that they decisided not to implement that in drivers? There's nothing that could prevent you emulating VS 2 with software, but that would mean complete emulation. partial emulation would definetely kill the speed. (moving floating point values between GPU and CPU to do some operations isn't really good idea.)

in any case, jump from VS1.1 to VS2 isn't really big (VS 2 to VS 3 is much bigger.) and you really don't need to support all DX9 features, you can partially support as well. That is because in case of any hardware, programmer has to check the DX Caps for hardware capabilities. That's why having VS2 and PS 1.3 could basically give you some advantage, as long as your hardware is fast enough in VS2.

(most of here seem to see this as another good example of screwed matrox, but to me this is actually interesting, how situation like this has happened... what went wrong, etc...)
                "Dippadai"

Comment

Originally posted by Kuriton
                  what was the name of the tool that lets you "edit" the chip directly without needing a tape out?

nvidia has it and matrox not AFAIK.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
                    what was the name of the tool that lets you "edit" the chip directly without needing a tape out?

nvidia has it and matrox not AFAIK.
                    if you mean IKOS boxes, they just plain FPGA platforms. And no, you can't edit chip that is in production without tape out. Only thing you can do is reverse engineer the chip, but I doubt no one outsider would be that interested about Parhelia core.
                    "Dippadai"

Comment

don't remember the name, it looked like a microscope (basically). useful to correct bugs on a chip w/o needing a new tape out every time. of course you need one for production chips.

the point is that this equipment lets you see the whole of the chip - to answer Haig's question about how the competition could read all their transistors (I'm not saying I'm right about this, but it just occurred to me it would be possible).

Comment

Perhaps an E-Beam prober?
                        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

it could also _modify_ the chip (hence no need for the tape out).

Comment

It doesn't let you see the whole chip. Modifying a chip puts some serious fatigue on it, and you really want to localize that to as small an area as you can.

But my information is about 2 years old now, so YMMV.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

So it requires a bit more patience...

Comment

Working...
                              X