Matrox market share drops again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox market share drops again.

The numbers from 2004 are ready, and Matrox drops from 0.8 marked share in 2003 to 0.4 in 2004, according to Toms Hardware and Jon Peddie Research.

The stats for 2004 are:

37.5% - Intel
    25.6% - ATI
    21.0% - Nvidia
    8.7% - Via
    6.4% - SiS
    0.4% - Matrox
    0.3% - XGI
    0.3% - Trident
    0.1% - 3D Labs

You can read the whole article here: http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews...10_150136.html

I don't know what significance these numbers have for Matrox, but remember that these are the numbers for shipped adapters/chips, and does not consider any revenue. But it still pains me to see Matrox marked share fall and fall. Anyone remember what marked share Matrox had in the good old days?

In 2000 when they were at their peak (550 or 500M revenue, on par with nVidia - there were a lot more players then, 3dfx was still arround, number9 folded or was in last breath, S3 was found on a lot of OEM desktops). I think they had about 5% of marketshare in that year.

Note that Matrox also sells their own boards (nV and Ati just sell chips, so profits are a bit lesser at same marketshare) and their boards are very expensive compared to them).

Here are the financials, I'm waiting for 2004 fiscal year (they have fiscal year end listed as March) numbers, but based on marketshare they should be now down to 40-50M (depends how much graphics division makes out of whole Matrox).
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 10 March 2005, 16:58.

Comment

Who cares about Matrox anymore? The talent has long left the company and we may never see interesting hobbyist boards come out of there again. I don't need a DAC anymore either thank you.
      Last edited by xortam; 10 March 2005, 18:09.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
        Who cares about Matrox anymore? The talent has long left the company and we may never see interesting hobbiest boards come out of there again. I don't need a DAC anymore either thank you.
        Obviously someone cares. I care. The question is, why are you here trolling when you obviously have no interest in Matrox cards? Do you really think this is information people want to know about? Did your post have a point other than a subjective opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by Twilight
          Obviously someone cares. I care. The question is, why are you here trolling when you obviously have no interest in Matrox cards? Do you really think this is information people want to know about? Did your post have a point other than a subjective opinion?
          No trolling at all. Most people who have been following the goings on at Matrox are aware of the upheaval that has occurred in recent years. I'm interested in Matrox cards of past (still run a Max) but Matrox is no longer interested in competing in the hobbyist market (this is evident by their actions). The DAC comment refers to Matrox’s previous forte in the area of analog-out video quality, which has become mostly moot with the advent of digital displays. People need to know about these things if they are expecting to wait around for such a graphics card from Matrox. I think the majority of Matrox card owners, past and present, would agree with these opinions. Spend some more time reading through the forums and see if you come up with a different opinion.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
            No trolling at all. Most people who have been following the goings on at Matrox are aware of the upheaval that has occurred in recent years. I'm interested in Matrox cards of past (still run a Max) but Matrox is no longer interested in competing in the hobbyist market (this is evident by their actions). The DAC comment refers to Matrox’s previous forte in the area of analog-out video quality, which has become mostly moot with the advent of digital displays. People need to know about these things if they are expecting to wait around for such a graphics card from Matrox. I think the majority of Matrox card owners, past and present, would agree with these opinions. Spend some more time reading through the forums and see if you come up with a different opinion.
            Still. You are off topic, and you are only presenting your personal opinions without backing it up with facts. If you want to warn people about buying Matrox cards, then start your own thread. Don't litter it around.

I would love to see Matrox produce a better card and get back in the game, but I agree there is little chance of that. Still, my current P650 does everything I need it to do, and neither ATI nor Nvidia deliver cards that do. Just accept that Matrox cards is a niche product.
            Last edited by Guest; 10 March 2005, 19:37.

Comment

I don't think he's off-topic. Matrox's market share has dropped yet again, and xortam is talking about why it happened.

Opinion vs. Fact:

Fact: Matrox had the best analog output in the business.
              Fact: Matrox really screwed up on the Parhelia, where the 3D core bled all over the DACs.
              Fact: Matrox's competitors have closed most of the analog quality gap.
              Fact: Analog is less relevant now that DVI is growing in popularity.

You want to address each of xortam's "opinions" so thoroughly?
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Still. You are off topic ...
                Ding! Wrong!!!

If you want to warn people about buying Matrox cards, then start your own thread. Don't litter it around. ...
                This is an open forum (and new threads cost us even more electronic trees ... oh, and don't litter). But if you want to have this thread to yourself go ahead and continue with your monologue ... sorry to try and contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                  I don't think he's off-topic …?
                  Thank you for your support.

Twilight doesn’t want to hear the truth … He/She can’t handle the truth.

Comment

I don't think he's off-topic. Matrox's market share has dropped yet again, and xortam is talking about why it happened.

Opinion vs. Fact:

Fact: Matrox had the best analog output in the business.
                    Fact: Matrox really screwed up on the Parhelia, where the 3D core bled all over the DACs.
                    Fact: Matrox's competitors have closed most of the analog quality gap.
                    Fact: Analog is less relevant now that DVI is growing in popularity.

You want to address each of xortam's "opinions" so thoroughly?
                    Well, when you put it like that. I agree on all the points you made. Sorry for blowing up on you xortam. I love my Matrox card, and it still does stuff that no other card can do. So when someone says something like "Who cares about Matrox anymore?", it can get me going.

But regarding to Matrox's market share, there is no doubt that they made some questionable decisions that took them away from the main stream. But for me that is not a gamer, Matrox cards are still perfect. There is more to picture quality than removing the analog connection. You have things like font rendering and color reproduction that still can look better on a Matrox with DVI than the competition. I suggest that the primary reason why Matrox is loosing its market share is their premium price tag. It's killing my budget anyway.

Comment

I love my Matrox card, and it still does stuff that no other card can do. So when someone says something like "Who cares about Matrox anymore?", it can get me going.
                      The thing is, Matrox doesn't care about us. As customers/users/beta-testers we've been lied to time and time again. Matrox lies on their web pages, and edits them after product has shipped. They deny problems exist. When the forums are open, that is - Matrox's forums can't even be read outside of business hours. Whose stupid idea is that? Probably Dan Wood. He's really f*cked up Matrox.
                      Last edited by Wombat; 11 March 2005, 10:24.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The thing is, Matrox doesn't care about us. As customers/users/beta-testers we've been lied to time and time again. Matrox lies on their web pages, and edits them after product has shipped. They deny problems exist. When the forums are open, that is - Matrox's forums can't even be <B>read</B> outside of business hours. Whose stupid idea is that? Probably Dan Wood. He's really f*cked up Matrox.
                        couldn't have put it better myself.

Matrox had good vision as to what sort of product would have done great on the market. Sadly, everything past that is totally ****ed. what the product was intended to be and all the little if's that would make it a great product only go so far.
                        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I really concern myself about Matrox's future.
                          Sometimes, people say that "Matrox have some markets(CAD, Millitary, Medical, Enterprise) besides Home entertainment, so if they get little benefits in consumer market, they don't hurt at all."
                          Is it really true?

On the other hand, I got an anger on Matrox official forum.
                          Although we can only read them on the site in the past, we can't even read the thread in Matrox Technical Support Forum now in holidays(from Friday to Monday).
                          Why is it?
                          We are very very in trouble because we can't search solutions on there during holidays.
                          I think there is no meaning for closing in holidays.
                          Matrox Parhelia(FR) 128MB with ZALMAN ZM-GWB1
                          My Matrox history:G550, Parhelia

Comment

I agree, disabling forums on weekends and holidays sucks extremely.

Generally people have more time on weekends to troubleshoot their computers and during that time the forum, which is valuable resource (FAQs, search function) is inaccessible.

Also if you posted a question during week with a plan to try steps recommended by tech support during weekend and you forgot to save the page, you're left with nothing to do untill forum comes up on Monday.

Also forum opening at 9am Monday time means forum opening at 15:00 European time and at 11pm east Asia (Japan) time. One could say that you have forum open untill late Friday night and early Saturday, but that's the going out time.

Comment

apart from suggesting patience...

I am working hard to try to give this site more life - oh and Kuriton, I am planning on opening a J forum soon - so hopefully we can get more help flowing here as well.

For now, all I can say is get the card that suits your needs, if you need a card now.
                              I wouldn't hold my breath for anything startling from the might M in the near future.
                              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Working...
                              X