• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Layer DVD Drive recomendation?

Required:
    4X Dual Layer Speed
    16X Single Layer Speeds

Wanted:
    Full Nero even if it only installs for the particular drive.
    USB 2.0/Firewire

Anyone have their favorites?

I'm not a fan of any of the USB or Firewire drives yet. If you're going internal IDE, I'd grab the NEC-3520, It's like $62 and a top pick.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

So you want a external drive right?

Have not had so much expiriense with them so I could not realy recomend one model over the other, the Lacie porche model looks good thou (dont know how fast it is)!
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

What happens if you get one of those 5 1/4" USB/Firewire cases and throw the NEC burner into it?

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
          What happens if you get one of those 5 1/4" USB/Firewire cases and throw the NEC burner into it?
          I don't know why more people don't go that route. I was planning on moving mine out of the HTPC and put it into a quiet USB 2.0(/FW) box to sit on the coffee table (HTPC sits there for now). The trick is finding a quiet yet cool box.

I've always gone with external SCSI boxes on my older systems.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
            That depends. A lot of those USB/Firefire-to-IDE converter chips do not handle ATAPI correctly. That's why more people don't do it, it often doesn't work.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
              I'm not a fan of any of the USB or Firewire drives yet. If you're going internal IDE, I'd grab the NEC-3520, It's like $62 and a top pick.
              mind you NEC has just recently announced the newer 3540 model

Comment

You could also go for the LG GSA4160-B, which quite a few people seem to have and are satisfied with...they also have an external USB 2.0 version for just a bit more money.
                All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Let me be the first to say...

Plextor, Plextor, Plextor, Plextor, Plextor, Plextor, Plextor, Plextor, Plextor...

If you want to go generic enclosure + DVD+-RW of choice, here are some options (just avoid anything from Bytecc):

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The Nec ND-3520 is currently THE drive to get as it's one of the cheapest and one of the (if not the) best DVD burner in terms of quality.

The 3540 has been announced but won't bring many new "features", and it's very likely that the 3520 will be tweaked (hacked firmware) to carry the same speed imporvements.
                    System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

I'm a Plextor fan, so I'd suggest this one:

6x DVD+R DL, 6x DVD-R DL (firmware update coming this month)
                      (but no Nero)

edit: I just scrolled up, and noticed Jammrock has also posted this one...

(I should read before I post)

Jörg
                      pixar
                      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Pioneer DVR-109 or LG GSA4163-B

Comment

Or Lacie perhaps?
                          Visit us, explore, and be inspired by premium external hard drives, SSDs, and RAID solutions that give you field-proven reliability and bold performance. Trek the globe with Rugged® durability, sprint through projects with Thunderbolt™ speed, and easily connect to the latest USB-C computers.

(they offer lightscribe - for labeling - as well)

Jörg
                          pixar
                          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I've heard the Plextor burner with the latest firmware is quite good.

Comment

another vote for NEC 3500 series
                              Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Working...
                              X