Elderly Parent nearly conned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderly Parent nearly conned

Got home last too discover my Mother had arranged to get £750 of damp coursing work done which we don't need. She was in quite a state of panic. Luckily she hadn't signed up for the full amount and just fill a check for £50.

The contract looked dodgy striaght off to me. No way of canceling except in person at the head office and no cooling off period of seven days. The builders were coming tomorrow at ten.

Forced myself inside the local Police station. Crimes cannot be reported after 5 O'clock apparently. Only between eight and Five. Anyway I pushed past the door guard and he went to get an officer.

I gave the details and the Policeman was a former builder himself and said the price was too high (Surprise Surrprise). He then to do some quick checks. Anyway he came back after half n hour and the quick checks are looked dodgy. He'd left messages on the companys phone and mobile number. He took my details and thats all we could do for now.

Today I did some of my own checks. The post code (Zip) was false. The Business address didn't exsist and the company wasn't even registered. Also they seemed to working in Devon in 2003. During this time the Company rang my mother up and I told them to bog off. They rang us after ringing the Police so it may have put the Shite up him.

The policeman rang me up straight after the Company and has promised to investigate the company. I'll chase him up during the week.

Next stage was caneling the check that my Mother made out not to the company but the salesman himself. More alarm bells. I then waited around with my steel capped boots incase any aggressive contractors did turn up.

It looks like My Mothers got away with it but if I was away she'd probably cougthed up £750 pounds for unneeded work.

One stressful day out of the way.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

not nice
    silly question though, what work is involved in "damp coursing" anything??
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

thats pretty shitty. My grandma accidentally changes her phone carrier once or twice a week. Older people just get talked into things on the phone without realizing it.
      www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
        not nice
        silly question though, what work is involved in "damp coursing" anything??

I ain't a builder but it sounded like injecting stuff into the walls. The Policeman stated at the price they should be also working inside the house.

By the way this wasn't a phone deal this was a personal visit by the salesman. Just kept talking apparently until she got confused enougth to sign up. She then paniced and failed to ring me up at work.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
        X