Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOINC core client v4.25 for windows released.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOINC core client v4.25 for windows released.

I'm pleased to announce the 4.25 release of the BOINC client for Windows.

The highlights for this release are:

1. A MSI based installer, for large scale deployments.
    2. A new task based GUI which utilizes the wxWidget cross platform framework, so we could use the same GUI code for the rest of the platforms.
    3. Installation options for running in the shared and service execution modes.
    4. A more comprehensive set of GUI RPC's for management of the daemon.
    5. Abilities to suspend/resume projects.
    6. Abilities to suspend/resume results, even ones which haven't started executing yet.
    7. Abilities to abort results.
    8. Abilities to abort transfers.
    9. Abilities to add URLs to the GUI Interface on a project specific basis.
    10. Supports multiple messages returned from the scheduler.

We would like to thank the Alpha testers and the various community members
    who reported bugs and helped us smooth out the rough edges.

We are still cooking the Linux, Solaris, and Mac versions which should be
    showing up in the next week or so.

----- Rom (Walton)
    To install v4.25, you must uninstall any v4.1x-clients beforehand. If you've installed v4.1x as service, you must also uninstall the service before uninstalling the client. Oh, and since BOINC doesn't remove any project-files on uninstall, you will not lose any work.
    Just download the new client, from http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php
    Uninstall the old client, and install the new to the same directory and should pick up all the old wu.

My recommended install-option would be as service on NT, just remember if you wants to run the screensaver (or show graphics) then installed as service you must manually change the service to run as "localsystem" and "interact with desktop". It's possible not all projects will show any graphics, even they did in older clients.

Also, after starting the Manager, it can take some seconds before displaying any information the 1st time.

To change language, select tools/options and try another language. After changing language, exit the manager and re-start.
    Note, there's currently not many translated languages, more should come in later releases.

As for bug-fixes, the most important is a fix there the client didn't correctly parse a scheduler-reply so never got the wu to crunch as should have.
    For v4.13-users there are also the bug-fix to all the wu-download-errors.

As for compability, v4.25 is compatible with all released projects, meaning SETI@home, Einstein@home, Climateprediction.net, Predictor@home and LHC@home. Still, if you're running CPDN and a long way out in a wu, would recommend to make a backup of BOINC before installing the new version, just in case...

Does this mean you'll start crunching for us again? :hope:
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Cool, the update went just as described!

Now to try to install the latest version on my home PC, and get my backed up project back up and running...
      (I reinstalled it, but it turns out to be unstable. I'm trying to locate which software is the culprit... )
      I'm thinking about:
      1. restoring the backup
      2. deleting all files but those remaining after an uninstallation (I made a list on my other PC )
      3. install the new version in that same folder

Hopefully, it will see this as an update as well.

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

How do you set up a second machine, I tried when using the older version and it does not show up under my list of macnines and production is the same as before.(pity becasue this machine is twice as fast)

They are both connected permantly to the internet.

I just used the same userid etc form my first install, is that right?

I'll try the new version and see what happens, but any pointer will be welcome.

Comment

Make sure that the service is actually running a few minutes after the machine reboots. If it is not, set it to use the Local System account and try again. It will use system resource but for some reason it does not work.
          Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 9 March 2005, 11:22.

Comment

3/9/2005 12:07:33 AM|climateprediction.net|Unrecoverable error for result 1wku_200109785_0 ( - exit code -1 (0xffffffff))
            3/9/2005 12:07:33 AM|climateprediction.net|Unrecoverable error for result 29gx_200126656_0 ( - exit code -1 (0xffffffff))
            3/9/2005 12:07:33 AM|climateprediction.net|Deferring communication with project for 59 seconds

Comment

I dislike 4.25 a lot and reverted to 4.19. Seems much leaner. Often the show graphis or update rpoject function would not work until a reboot.
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
              X