Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice tech tip, thought I'd share it

Originally Posted by shaynesintz
    Note: All the steps listed above were OUTSIDE of the case on an anti-static bag.
    Posted by John:
    Be VERY careful doing this, anti-static bags are often CONDUCTIVE on the outer surface, that is how they keep the static out. A block of wood or even cardboard is the best bet.

And the very next post was:

John:

OMG! Dude, you're so right.

I just pulled the ASBag out from under the MB and it posted!
    Seriously, you just ended a 40+hour (no including driving) troubleshooting marathon.
    I cannot believe that did it. Right now, I don't even care if my HDDs are bad and I can't install an O/S because I'm damn exited to see something on a screen.

You're my freakin' hero.

Amazing.
    Thanks.

Funny how such a small thing can ruin your day (or days in this case)
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Hahahhahaa....
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I don't get it. He installed a mobo with an anti-static bag underneath it?
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Still remember a cmos chip being sent through the post pressed into polystyene.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
          I don't get it. He installed a mobo with an anti-static bag underneath it?

No, he put together an entire computer on an anti-static bag thinking that the anti-static bag would protect the components from static danger.
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

so he didn't use a case?

Comment

It's common for system builders to test the core components before putting them into the case. You basically take the mobo, CPU, RAM and video card, plug in a keyboard, and boot it up to make sure the basics are POSTing. My motherboard tray can be removed from the case, so I just use that.

I had a guy who put his mobo on the motherboard tray from teh computer, but forgot to check whether all the posts lined up with the mobo. He shorted out two boards before he asked me to help and I pointed that out.

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                Still remember a cmos chip being sent through the post pressed into polystyene.
                not antistatic foam? becasue that is quite common.

I have pointed out the mobo on anti static bags does not work to few people myself.

Comment

wow.. heh. When I build, I use nylon screws and washers and totally isolate the board from any conductive surface. All gounding goes through the wires.

Comment

Every mobo I have ever installed I have used metal standoff's and metal screws, thinking that connecting the case to the ground on the mobo is a good thing.

But I always check that ALL standoffs centre correctly on proper mounting holes and no extra standoffs are they to let the smoke out

Comment

Yeah, I've always used metal screws and standoffs for the holes in motherboards that have a grounding ring.

Comment

Holy crap, i never knew about the outside. Glad I clicked this thread.

Comment

Working...
                        X