windows sound has borked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows sound has borked

Something has gone wrong with the sound in my computer....

The soundcard works, sound in games works, winamp, media player etc...

But some applications uses the mobo soundspeaker instead of the soundcard as if I didnt have any soundcard installed?!?

In mIRC I cant get sounds to work completely, some uses the soundcard others only beeps the mobo speaker.

when I empty the recycle bin, it beeps the mobo speaker instead of playing the sound it should....

Weirdly enough IE and explorer do use their assignes multimedia theme sounds

Anyone has any ideas on how to solve this?
    (one thing I know will work is to reinstall windows But I want to awoid that )
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Install windows again on top of itself

Retains almost all settings, no need to reinstall software, works most of the time. I did this in XP only once, I think you need to start setup.exe from within windows.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I'll try it
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

What audio card?

I've had my Audigy just bork up once, and same with a friend. Un/Reinstalled the Audigy drivers, problem solved.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

could always dump (via registry) the sound devices so you dont lose everything
          Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
            What audio card?

I've had my Audigy just bork up once, and same with a friend. Un/Reinstalled the Audigy drivers, problem solved.
            Audigy2 so I'll try that first before doing a reinstall

Originally posted by Dilitante1
            could always dump (via registry) the sound devices so you dont lose everything
            last resort.....

Comment

Have you looked in the sound and multimedia settings of the control panel and made sure your computer is set to use the audigy by default?
              80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Installing on top borked even worse, so I ended up doing a clean reinstall.
                so the problem is gone now

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                  Installing on top borked even worse, so I ended up doing a clean reinstall.
                  so the problem is gone now
                  Oh well, you win some and you loose some
                  The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

lost some mail, temper, filles, etc etc

Comment

Working...
                    X