Error 418 in VirtualDub - help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error 418 in VirtualDub - help please

Hi gang. I'm trying to capture from a VCR to make a VCD or SVCD of a short indie film.

What is the consensus for best capture method?

I've tried AVI_IO with good results but 1) I can't capture full screen without buffer overflow and 2) the prog likes to crash my machine when I close it with a LOCKED_PAGES error on Win2000.

Matrox PCVCR captures fine but when I output to TV for viweing at 352x240 @ 29.97fps the image jitters in the vertical with the result being an unwatchable picture.

The Dutchman seems to like capturing with VirtualDub. I'd love to give it a shot but I get an "Error 418 Capture Device Was Not Detected" when I try to go into Capture AVI mode. I'm using VDub v. 1.3a for reference. How can I get VirtualDub to see my Marvel G400-TV?

For any pointers and/or help I hereby give many advance thanks.

--

sys specs.
    Win 2000 Adv. Server
    P3 500
    Marvel G400-TV (display 5.12, 5.20 driv package)
    2 SCSI-3 HHDs (10gig and 4gig)
    onboard adaptec SCSI controller
    blah blah

[This message has been edited by Ansigod (edited 26 March 2001).]

The Marvel G400 Win2K drivers are betas. As such they are by definition unstable and unreliable for real work. They are for evaluation only.

You should be using Win98SE until the full release Win2K drivers come in a few weeks. This is the advantage of installing Win98SE FIRST then installing Win2K so as to create a multiboot system.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Right. I understand the whole beta drivers issue. It seems that whenever people see Win2000 (myself included) on this forum the standard answer is "driver issue."

I don't think it is a driver issue, though. The OSD from my VCR shows up on the TV monitor just fine. It's just that the captured video, when played back onto the TV monitor, jumps up and down ("jitters") in the vertical by *one* line several times per second. Might this be a user fault in the settings?

I'm also having trouble in several other areas (like getting an MPEG2 stream to play back) but I'd rather not spam the board with 2 or three posts in less than a few hours time. Vcdhelp.com is down too, bummer.

And please, can anybody point me to some information about Tmpgenc?? I'm fumbling through the program by trial and error and I have no idea what the VBR/CBR/CQ stuff does. Surely there's some kind of guide(s) already published on one of these great video sites.

Comment

Working...
      X