Way to go Intel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way to go Intel!

Don't have time to post links but I noticed Paul was on-line and I just want to say "Way to go Intel!" I like how they're reaching out to HW and SW companies with new and expanded partnerships to improve management (AMT) and virtualization (with VMWARE, et.al.). I need to read more but I like what I've seen so far. Intel isn't Microsoft's b*tch any more.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Intel will also ship dual-core processors starting with the Smithfield chip in 2Q05 ... "the Pentium D for standard desktops and the Pentium Extreme Edition for higher performance machines." The smaller 65 nm Presler chips will follow and ship in 1Q06. In addition ...
    ... Intel's Itanium line of chips for high-end servers will have its first dual-core model in the fourth quarter of 2005 with a version referred to as Montecito and will follow that with Montvale in 2006. Tukwila will contain four or more cores and come to the market in 2007.
    In lower-priced servers, a market served by Intel's Xeon line of chips, the company will deliver Paxville and Dempsey in the first quarter of 2006. Tulsa, at 65 nanometers, will follow Paxville later in the year and Whitefield will come in 2007.

For laptops, Yonah is to begin shipping in 2005 and be introduced in 2006. ...
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Based on what I have read so far from the Intel IDF, I think when Presler comes out might be when I think about upgrading. Glad to see Intel finally on the ball again. Guess 2005 won't be a really slow year on the CPU front after all. AMD got what they wanted when they spanked the P4 with their Athlon64. They better be ready to respond.
      Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
      MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
      Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
      Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Article

The Pentium Extreme Edition will include the use of two hyperthreads on each core, for a total of four hyperthreads in the processor. The hyperthreads will allow for running multiple instructions simultaneously. The Pentium D will not have hyperthreading initially.

Comment

Hrm I wonder if the new Extreme Edition will be just like the current one... Extremely Expensive

Comment

eYup!!!

Lots of new stuff coming this year.

I've been Mr. FLASH the last few years. I heard we finished #1 for NOR sales Q4 2004. 2nd in NAND behind Samsung.

Lots of HOT new Cell phones going to come out with our FLASH in them. And that's all I have to say about that for now......Darth_Gump....ROFL!!!!

I just got my free processor a couple weeks ago.

I decided to get a free 3.2G Northwood instead of a Prescott. I don't want to spend the money to upgrade to Rev1 of the PCI Express stuff just yet. So I'll get a new mobo and some memory to hold me over for awhile longer.
            Last edited by ALBPM; 2 March 2005, 20:55.
            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I like seeing the enterprise stuff like …
              … Gelsinger unveiled Intel(R) I/O Acceleration Technology, which speeds up data-flow between server applications and the network, and discussed additional details on Intel(R) Active Management Technology, which allows IT managers to use management and security applications to remotely discover and repair a variety of issues.
              Gelsinger is senior vice president and general manager of Intel's recently formed Digital Enterprise Group.

… also …
              Novell (Nasdaq: NOVL) today announced support for Intel Active Management Technology (AMT) in the next version of Novell(R) ZENworks(R), due in the first half of 2005. As a result, customers using ZENworks with Intel AMT will significantly reduce the time required to re-image replaced or upgraded system hardware, increasing productivity for both IT administrators and end users. Novell today also announced it will incorporate support for Intel Virtualization Technology into future versions of SUSE(R) LINUX-based servers and desktops. …
              There also was the VMWARE announcement.

Intel really seems geared up for a big push. I know of other new and/or expanded relationships with other companies but I think the info may be confidential so …
              Originally posted by ALBPM
              ... I've been Mr. FLASH the last few years. ...
              Yep ... knew that.
              … Lots of HOT new Cell phones going to come out with our FLASH in them. And that's all I have to say about that for now ...
              Your boss (Mr. Barrett) had something to say about that …
              … The biggest challenge for Intel, he said, is breaking into the cellular handset market as "We are a very small player from a computing side in that platform."
              I thought I saw him comment some more about plans for the cell phone market but I don’t see it at the moment. I’ll post it later if I find it.

… I decided to get a free 3.2G Northwood instead of a Prescott. …
              My 2.8GHz Northwood overclocks to 3.5GHz with a 1 GHz FSB with no problem.

Intel is looking very promising. Might have to pick up a few shares (closed today at $24.52).

Comment

Ack!!! What happened to the text in this thread? vbb burp!

Comment

More on VMware's announcement:
                  ... As part of the expanded relationship, the two companies will collaborate on optimization of VMware server and desktop products working with Intel's future chip-level virtualization technologies. The end result for enterprise users will be a robust, optimized set of operating system-agnostic virtual infrastructure solutions that leverage VMware's seven years of extensive technology innovation and leadership in delivering high performance, production-ready virtualization products for the Intel architecture. ... Intel's Virtualization Technology (formerly codenamed Vanderpool Technology) ..."Virtualization has reached a point of real maturity in the server space and will bring exciting new applications to enterprise clients including increased manageability, improved ease of use and enhanced security." ...
                  VMware is now part of EMC.

Comment

Which of these new cpu's will be (finally) based on Centrino? Then I'll perhaps think about Intel...

Comment

Uh oh!

Not such smooth sailing ahead ...
                      ... Japan's Fair Trade Commission said Tuesday that it has judged that Intel Corp. (INTC) violated the country's antitrust laws in its sales of microprocessor chips here. ...
                      EU Probes Intel's Rebates ... The world's largest producer of microchips was also in the E.U. Commission's focus last week when the Republic of Ireland ditched plans to contribute EUR170 million in state funds toward an Intel project near Dublin to produce next-generation nanometer chips.

The funding offer was withdrawn after the Commission made moves to launch an investigation into the legality of the aid. ...

Comment

INtel has the manufacturing capacity AMD lacks. Even with the A64, AMD has no chance to beat Intel just yet.

They're on track though...It's the second time they have a better chip than Intel (that can be mass produced that is -remember the KIII?).

The problem is they need to pull about 3 better chips in a row to really crack the nut...not there yet...(the good thing is they're on entreprise radar for servers now...).

Intel is messed up and not really about to solve their problems. Customers need to be able get more mileage out of the technology they buy. How many more variations of the P4 do we need? How many sockets? How many voltage/power specifications? RAM?

AMD used the Socket A for ever, why can't Intel do the same with their technology? That was obviously not a speed question as AMD was faster than Intel for a long time (and A64 still is actually).

Comment

Flash memory

Todays news ...
                          ... Ending months of speculation, chip-maker Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD) confirmed talk that it would get out of the money-losing flash-memory-chip market, by announcing it will spin off a unit in an initial public offering. ... It has also weighed on competitor Intel Corp. (INTC)."Even though flash memory has had its time in the sun, it seems to always be a dragging point for both Intel and AMD,"said Daniel Morgan, a portfolio manager at Synovus Investment Advisors, ...

Comment

Considering AMD would have made a profit last quarter if it wasn't for their flash mempry division (and has been the case for a while) I see this as a good thing.

Now ... if only IBM and Infineon can figure out how to get MRAM working right.
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                              ... I see this as a good thing. ...
                              ... so does Wall Street as they've been calling for this divestiture for some time. Intel has really been putting it to AMD with regards to Flash memory pricing. AMD may still have their money tied up in this since they're predicted to own 30-40% of the spin off.

Comment

Working...
                              X