Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transparent file versioning system

Hello,

Does anyone here use a file versioning system for non-software development?

I was thinking of configuring CVS to track versions of TEX files (LaTeX text editing), and perhaps even office documents (don't know yet if this latter is possible). The main reason for doing this is to keep track of changes: even though I would use it as a single user, sometimes one needs to go back to a previous version...

But as I have no experience with CVS, I'm not sure whether one can configure it without support from the program used (tex-editor, office-application, ...). Are there perhaps easier options to configure?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Just had a suggestions to use Subversion as the core versioning system. While it doesn't support office binaries (nor does CVS), this isn't such a big deal as TEX files are text-based...

Jörg
    pixar

Comment

What do you mean, support binaries?
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

office documents and similar programs

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

Okay, what do you mean "support?"

You can tell CVS that you're checking in a binary file, and it won't try to do things like diff it.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

There was an article a few years about a binary diff program. It basically chose a byte value to use as a "new-line", and then used a standard diff algorithm to re-synchronize after a difference. I think it was in Dr. Dobbs Journal.

A quick google for "binary diff" turned up XDelta on SourceForge.

Something of that sort may be usable with CVS or SubVersion.

If not, you'll have to start using VMS.

- Steve

Comment

Wombat: what I meant with "don't support" is that they don't do anything with them (which is in fact a good thing)...

But, I don't really need the interpretation of binary files, as I usually use LaTeX to edit (BTW, the Microsoft versioning system can cope with office documents), and while one looses fuctions such as merge and stuff like that for binaries, this wouldn't bother me.

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

Just use Subversion, CVS or Perforce (using Perforce atm but not for non-software development, Perforce is free for personal use). Stay far far away (and I mean really far far away) from MS Visual SourceSafe it's an awful product, but I guess SourceSafe 2005 will be totally different but still I wouldn't waste my money on it.
                Last edited by KeiFront; 3 March 2005, 04:41.
                Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Ok, I'll give subversion a try (have heard some good things about it).

Main use for me is for maintaining versions when writing texts (scientific articles, ...) in LaTeX.

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

The subversion/tortoiseSVN seems like a great combination!
                    After some experimenting with it, I can surely see the benefits of it.

Thanks!

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

Working...
                    X