Asus blows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus blows

I just got an Asus Extreme AX800XL video card from Newegg today. I was under the impression that all X800XL ran at 400/500 and had 16 pipes on them. Well I fired up ATI tool on the Asus card and come to find out that the card I got was only clocked at 392/350 and only has 12 pipes!

I guess I'll be holding on to my X800XT I currently have in my PC, that I borrowed from my work PC and use the Asus card in work, which is should be fine for since I can only go upto 1280 or so with my cheezy dell FP I got with it
    Last edited by GT98; 1 March 2005, 13:42.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Ha. Poor baby. I'm at work on the GOOD machine right now.. the one with the 16mb G400.

The other one has a 2mb Millennium I.

Comment

Asus has been known to clock their GT6800's slower than what GTs should be clocked at.

It appears as soon as one maker wins major awards (it has similarly been in this country with businessman of the year award - the company usually folded next year) they decide to "capitalize" on reputation.

IMO nVidia and Ati have been screwing board makers too hard:
      - Lots of reputable vendors either stopped making graphic boards (Hercules, Tyan) or have sporadic problems (Leadtek, Asus).
      - Due to short design cycles and rules imposed, the makers cannot make better cards with added value (Hercules overclocked cards, Tyan dual DVI Radeons) and thus cannot differentiate from generic or noname makers.

So Asus probably decided to just withdraw from the market and capitalizing a bit or perhaps they though they can cash in on reputation (and they don't plan to withdraw).

Comment

Nope. Never had trouble with 'em. Except for not being able to use the updated WDM video capture drivers. Also, there was needing several bios updates to stabalize the K7M.

Edit:
        Add to that that it will not boot off a burned CD no matter what the drive supports nor will it allow a burner to be first in the drive chain.
        Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 2 March 2005, 17:14.

Comment

Asus usually uses more conservative timings for stabilities sake, and then lets the user increase/tweak timings to their content.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
            Asus usually uses more conservative timings for stabilities sake, and then lets the user increase/tweak timings to their content.
            Clock speed is one thing, but disabling pipes (usually irreversable without serious fiddling) is a different matter.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well heres the update...I posted a bitch on HardOCP about the card and someone on there noticed that Asus offers a EAX800 card for 350 bucks...thats the card I got, which is just a X800. The boxes look identical to one another and the only thing different on the box is it says EAX800XL on it...other wise identical. They are also only one stock number apart...the X800 part ending in 29 and the X800XL part ending in 30. I'm getting it RMA'd and need to get out out in the mail the next couple days.
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Work computer 865 cipset intel 2.6GHz @ 1.3GHz 2x512MB 400MHz cl2 @ 200MHz cl3 crappy GF4 MX 400 64MB! broken combo drive

New computer 915p chipset 3GHz 1024MB, 200GB SATA X700Pro 256MB, DVD DL +/-RW have not had the time to transfere the files from the old comp to the new one!
                According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Working...
                X