Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 pointing devices in XP

Hello,

I'm wondering what the possibilities are to connect 2 pointing devices to a Windows XP computer.

It appears to work, but one of the devices (Kensington Expert Mouse 5 trackball) has its own drivers. When adding an ordinary mouse to the PC (trackball on serial port, mouse on PS/2), the trackball driver doesn't load anymore, saying no Kensington device was found (serial is supported though).
    Both devices work, but the accelleration and buttons on the Kensington are wrong (it has 4 programmable buttons, now it only has the 2 regular mousebuttons) ...

Any thoughts?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Try searching for how to use MS drivers for the devices.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
      Try searching for how to use MS drivers for the devices.
      Well, the Kensington does work with MS drivers, but has limited functionality: one limitation is the loss of programmable buttons, the other has to do with the mousespeed. Especially that latter one makes the trackball virtually useless, as the common mouse speed settings would involve a lot of trackball motion... Changing the mouse speed would make the other device virtually useless...

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Well, both my Wacom tablet and my mouse work at the same time on XP without issues.

Comment

I got 2 logitech mice, MX700 and another older wired mouse, hooked up to a PC using MS drivers. They both funtion fine, and all buttons do what they are supposed to.
          Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
          MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
          Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
          Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

When I was playing with this (PS2 + serial mouse) it worked, I think it was on 98 or NT4.0. Both were logitech and were picked up by logitech drivers.

Are both of them from Kensington?

Comment

I think it has to do with the fact that the trackball has a different speed setting. When another mouse is present, it looks like the Kensington driver refuses to load, so the trackball is stuck with the same speedsettings as the mouse is. Similarly, it is limited to the same buttons.

So I get the impression that as long as both devices use the same speedsetting, there won't be an issue...

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

The Kensington driver I use doesn't support USB devices. Perhaps if the other device is a USB device, the Kensington driver wouldn't notice its presence...
                (I'll try this !)

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

Yes, it works! I have the trackball on the PS/2 port, and a regular mouse on a USB port. Both have their own speedsettings and keys (those defined in the Kensington software still work on the trackball).
                  Even after a reboot!

Woohoo!

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

Working...
                  X