USB Hard Drive Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Hard Drive Problem

At work, there's a W2K server that refuses to fully see a usb 2.0 hard drive. The drive is not seen in device manager nor in disk management and only two items appear in the "Safely Remove Hardware" utility. See example screenshot below:
    Attached Files

If you can't see it in device manager I don't think you will be able to get to populate. In my remove hardware screen I get a drive letter assigned
    P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

Comment

I think I was remembering incorrectly. It did appear in Device Manager.

Comment

There won't be a drive letter if the drive hasn't been "initialized"

Comment

Possible solution

This looks like the same problem you describe

Comment

YOu're not gonna believe this. Originally, I tried moving the drive to different ports to see if it would redetect the drive. Then I realized that I had had to reinstall the virus scanner and after that is when the trouble started. I had moved the drive all around on different controllers etc. . . and then later removed the virus scanner. I forgot something that I had learned several months ago. W2Ks usb storage implementation has a particular problem regarding this. If you remove a USB 2.0 hard drive while the power is off and reattach it to a different port, it will not give it a drive letter. You have to reconnect it to the same port. I replugged the drive back into the original port after the virus scanner was removed and voila it worked.
            Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 28 February 2005, 09:06.

Comment

Good to hear!

I was going to suggest to log off, connect the drive and log on again.
              Apparently, regular users are restricted from adding driveletters as well... (have had this issue)

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Backups successful! Woohoo!

Comment

Now it sees both but not when the USB 2.0 card is installed hence some of my recent postings in the test thread. Maybe the whole problem is that the USB 2.0 card is FUBAR. They're so cheap I'll just order a different one. All drives are good for now. Grrr. Arrrggghhh. At least the server has newer much faster 40GB 8MB cache Ultra 133 HD. It boots twice as fast.

Edit:
                  Yup it are FUBAR.
                  Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 22 March 2005, 19:59.

Comment

Working...
                  X