Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another computer problem

*sigh*

I just bought two 74GB Raptors to run in RAID 0.

Problem:WinXP install disk keeps saying that it can't install a file off of the CD.

Things I've tried:

1. Another WinXP disk, same problem.
    2. Swapping WinXP disks. This lets me continue the install up to a point, but then it can't get past 96% or something close. During the install, I have to swap the disks like 20-30 times as multiple files seem to have problems.

3. Different IDE cable for the CD Burner
    4. Different power cable for the CD Burner
    5. Brand New DVD Burner!
    6. Unplug everthing except video card, 2 raptors, 1 DVD Burner, 1 floppy.

I ran into a similar problem when I initially bought my mobo. Relaxing the mem timings allowed the install to go smooth. This didn't work this time.

Possible power supply problem? All of the rail lines look good.

Specs:

Asus A8V
    A64 3500+
    Asus X800 XT PE
    1 Plextor 716A 16x DVD Burner
    1 Enermax 430W PS (This is probably a few years old now)

Has anyone heard of such a problem? I am going insane. It seems I always have install problem too
    Last edited by Helevitia; 24 February 2005, 13:38.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

I've seen similar when a stick of RAM went bad... have you got 2 sticks so you can take one out? Or try running memtest. Other than that sorry can't help much Dave.
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
      I've seen similar when a stick of RAM went bad... have you got 2 sticks so you can take one out? Or try running memtest. Other than that sorry can't help much Dave.
      I have seen this too.. damn RAM
      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

It's that X800. It's just a bad bad card. You should pack it up and send it to me, I'll dispose of it.

But seriously, it looks like a memory issue. Either the memory itself, or your motherboard. Memtest86+ for a while, see how it does.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll try one stick at a time when I get home and if that doesn't work I'll memtest the memory.

And Wombat, how about I send you the box it came in instead The box is very pretty.
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Two sticks at a time, I think, or you won't totally engage the memory controller. You want to first try to break it with both memory banks running, then see if it fails with only one bank engaged.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

ahh, good idea. I'll try two sticks first in the other bank. Now that I think about it, I don't think it will boot in the other bank without the first one being filled. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Dave

Comment

I agree, memory.
                "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

It wasn't memory

I tried one stick at a time in the only slot I was allowed. Same problem.

I thought it might be my RAID setup on my Promise controller, so I moved one of my Raptors to the VIA SATA controller, same problem. I tried both drives seperately just to make sure it wasn't a drive causing the problem.

I changed numerous BIOS settings thinking that maybe something in there was screwing things up, but nothing worked.

I'm at a loss. I am going to try a third WinXP disk as soon as I can get a hold of one. If that doesn't work, I'll swap out the pwoer supply, then the motherboard.

Unless of course, anyone has other suggestions???

Some other things I've considered is, Different OS, install OS on IDE (it this works), then ghost it back to the RAID drive???

Dave

Comment

It might be the motherboard. It might be the CPU.

Remember that A64s have the memory controller integrated. That's going to make this a more difficult problem.

But you're still trying to install XP, and not running Memtest like we asked.

Comment

hehehe, can you tell I'm trying to avoid memtest

You really think I still need to run memtest?

Comment

OK, what if I pull my slower PC2100 memory from my other computer and try that? Will that satisfy you Wombat ??

Comment

I assume that you're manually loading some sort of RAID driver during the first phase of booting the install CD?

Make sure that you are using the lastest version from VIA or Promise, and if you are, try using an older version.
                          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

...and that you know you have to do this from a floppy drive.

Apparently this has to be done for both the RAID and SATA drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                              hehehe, can you tell I'm trying to avoid memtest

You really think I still need to run memtest?
                              Yup.

Comment

Working...
                              X