looking for a quite cpu cooler (P4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a quite cpu cooler (P4)

The loudness of my PC is driving me crazy. I have only two fans: One Enermax power supply and one on the CPU cooler. Then I have three hard disks (two of them SCSI, which are a bit noisy). I believe the noise comes from the stock CPU cooler of Intel.
    I decide to replace it with a super quiet cooler (not water-cooling) that is effecient enough for a P4 2.4C @3.06.
    Any recommendations?
    Last edited by chaoliang; 27 February 2005, 15:57.

Also look into getting the hard drives on rubber grommets, so they transmit less vibration to the case.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Try Zalman or Thermalright (with slow large fan).

Arctic Cooling and Coolermaster are reasonably quiet and cheap.

Considering you have SCSI HDDs, Zalman might be overkill.

As per PSU I noticed that some Enermax models are loud if you plug the fan monitoring connector into motherboard.

You might also find resources about cooling here.
      Arstechnica Case and Cooling Fetish forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
        Also look into getting the hard drives on rubber grommets, so they transmit less vibration to the case.
        This also makes them a run lot hoter!!!!!!!
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Is it better to have a heatsink and a fan separately or to buy them in set (like Zalman)? Since Zalman coolers are quite heavy, I'm somehow worried about the motherboard.
          Which brand of fans is better?
          How are the Nexus coolers?

Thanks!

Comment

Thermalright XP90 or XP120 are excellent coolers. You can add a nice silent fan (papst, Noiseblocker,...)
            System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Originally posted by Guru

(maybe my joke detector hasn't had enough caffeiene today)

- Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Guru
                Yes it does, but you should see the thingies that Seagate came up with for putting their HDs in PVRs.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have a fan blowing directly on to my HDDs. No overheating with me

one of the more ingenious ways of making HDDs quieter I've seen is hanging them with elastic cord from the tower support. Pretty nifty idea.

Jammrock
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                    one of the more ingenious ways of making HDDs quieter I've seen is hanging them with elastic cord from the tower support. Pretty nifty idea.
                    Got any links to pics of this? I don't think that doing such a thing is good for the HDD in question.
                    Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                    MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                    Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                    Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Bought the Arctic Cooling Ultra TC for 20€ and installed it.
                      To my surprise I couldn't really hear much difference to the system with the Intel cooler. Only at this moment I realized how loud my HDDs were - I couldn't even hear the fan noise! I pluged up them one after another and found the worst one: a IBM SCSI drive. Since it's only 4.5G, I decided to say bye to it. Now it's much quieter.
                      Still, the last SCSI drive, from Seagate, is much louder than the SATA Samsung drive. Maybe I will give it up later as well. It's not nice, but... The SCSI drives made my system quite a bit faster.
                      Last edited by chaoliang; 23 February 2005, 16:01.

Comment

Originally posted by spadnos

(maybe my joke detector hasn't had enough caffeiene today)

- Steve
                        Hard drives' primary source of cooling is through the side rails, where the mounting screws go. If you isolate those rails from the case, you reduce noise transmission, but also thermal transmission with it.

Comment

Originally posted by mmp121
                          Got any links to pics of this? I don't think that doing such a thing is good for the HDD in question.
                          Just take a look for the articles on http://www.silentpcreview.com/ and especially in their forums. 1 decent fan at 5v blowing over elastically suspended HDDs is a major improvement on noise and may even keep your disks cooler.

EDIT: and by "decent" I mean quiet, not high CFM. Even a relatively slow movement of air is a massive improvement over natural convection.
                          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

The Coolermaster stacker has 4-drive cage (you can purchase cage separately and put it in 3 CD-ROM bays) suspended on rubber grommets behind silent 120mm fan.

IMO worth considering. Otherwise a fan blowing over disks is huge plus - my JB never goes more than few °C over ambient (26 at disk intensive operations).
                            Last edited by UtwigMU; 23 February 2005, 18:59.

Comment

Originally posted by mmp121
                              Lookie here: http://www.silentpcreview.com/module...tid=109&page=1

Jammrock
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X