linux for newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linux for newbie

i am going to try linux on an old, spare machine (486 with either ati or nvidia video card) and am looking for advice on which linux package to start with. i have zero linux experience but lots of time to learn. still, i would like something as automated as possible.

thanks in advance!
    P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

Well all the newer easy to use ones really need a faster system, and are compiled for at least 586, some 686.

But old 486 flavours are still around if you look, truth is unless you have a specific job for the 486 I would think playing around with linux on a 486 is going to be a no fun situation..

Comment

ok, thanks. so, if i had a p4 2.4 would that make my options and original request realistic?
      P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

Comment

Well my experience was following: I had 2 identical boxes (computer room): Duron 700MHz/256MB RAM, Ati Rage which were set to dualboot XP and RH8.

Compared to XP Redhat felt slower.

Comment

Re: linux for newbie

Originally posted by gangster
          i am going to try linux on an old, spare machine (486 with either ati or nvidia video card) and am looking for advice on which linux package to start with. i have zero linux experience but lots of time to learn. still, i would like something as automated as possible.
          Some linux distributions still offer a version compiled for i486; I have an older Mandrake for i486 lying around. But perhaps the folks in the Alternative lifestyles-forum might suggest one...

Bear in mind that for any userfriendlyness you'll need XWindows (graphical userinterface), and that it won't run very fast on a i486 (there are optimized windowmanagers though).

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

you can find reasonable 486 linuxs but they are quite basic and me be hard to configure.

Using some recent hardware will allow you to use mandrake or suse, which have very slick installers...and include a lot of handy applications etc

I would recomend mandrake for a newer machine

Comment

Vector Linux is small and light. Could work on the 486 decently well with Blackbox window manager. Although it is based off of Slackware, so it is not easy to configure.
              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
              Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Go with a newer system and throw Ubuntu on it. You may not want to go back to Windows...
                Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

mmm, i now have memories of running Windowmaker on Slackware on 486's. or getting X running on a 386SX-25 laptop w/ 3.5mb of RAM.

mmmmmm.
                  "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Working...
                  X