Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations on a quiet power supply?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations on a quiet power supply?

Hey guys,
    I'm in the market for a new PSU for my main PC. I want something on the quiet side, 350W-450W power range. I'm considering the Seasonic Tornado range, but they're pretty damn expensive. Anything else I should look at?

Also, any vendors I should really look at? Newegg is starting to jack their prices up.

Thanks!
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

I guess you can also look for PSU's from ZipZoomFly (formerly known as Googlegear). Talk about a terrible change of names.

Also, just based on the name, Tornado doesn't seem "quiet" to me. Antec supposedly has a new line of PSU's out that are supposedly very quiet. I have no hands on experience with them, but I do own a TruePower 430, and think its great.

Saw the announcement on Anandtech:
    News and reviews of PC components, smartphones, tablets, pre-built desktops, notebooks, Macs and enterprise/cloud computing technologies.
    Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
    MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
    Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
    Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Originally posted by mmp121
      I guess you can also look for PSU's from ZipZoomFly (formerly known as Googlegear). Talk about a terrible change of names.
      Well, "Googlegear" is trademark infringement, so they were (rightfully) made to change.

Second, I would never ever order from them. Everybody I know who has ordered from them has gotten burned. If they send you the wrong/defective equipment (which they often do), it's nearly impossible to get their help making things right.

Also, just based on the name, Tornado doesn't seem "quiet" to me.
      Read the reviews. It's doing quite well, and is very quiet. They call it that because of the 120mm fan mounted on the bottom of the PSU. But thanks for another suggestion.

NOTE: Silent PC Review's good, but slightly old, recommendations: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page3.html
      Last edited by Wombat; 21 February 2005, 16:46.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I tried out the Seasonic and didn't care for it ... little too loud and it didn't have S-ATA connectors. I love my SilverStone ST40F Super Silent Power Supply (Active PFC). Very nice fan design plus it fits perfectly with my black SilverStone case. Here's my thread on the subject.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I just measured the sound emission from my SilverStone ST40F ... 62db at 3" from the exhaust.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I just ordered one ST40F from newegg. Thanks xortam!

I just hope my Allied lasts a few more days.

Comment

Glad I could help.

Comment

Well, I got it. It's definitely quieter, and my case temp is lower(31C vs 35C). But all the rails are a about 3% below spec, and the -5V is reading +3.5V!

Comment

I would have recommended a COBA AP400X/12. It's very quiet and quite cheap, quality is good (this from a review of the only magazine I trust, not personal experience).

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the -5V and -12V readings. I don't think they're used to power anything. Besides, mobo sensors usually aren't too accurate anyway. As long as it's stable, the readings shouldn't matter.

I have a Seasonic Tornado 400 in my main PC, and it does get louder when my system is under high load, but it's not really annoying at all. The Tornado 300 in my server never spins up - it's pretty much inaudible unless the case is open and you stick your head in.

Comment

Yeah, I keep wondering if I should have gotten a Tornado.

I know mobo sensors aren't all that accurate, but they worked on the power supply I just swapped out.

One thing I do like about the ST40F is that it has a fan sensor header, so my MB can read the fan RPMs. That's kinda cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                        ... But all the rails are a about 3% below spec, and the -5V is reading +3.5V! ...
                        I don't even know what my negative voltage readings are because ASUS PC Probe doesn't report those. The other lines have stayed pretty close to spec over the last eight months. I drive my PIV 2.8 GHz at 3.5 GHz without problems. Try it, you'll like it.

... I keep wondering if I should have gotten a Tornado. ...
                        I didn't think the Seasonic was near the quality of the SilverStone. Have you looked at one in person?

...One thing I do like about the ST40F is that it has a fan sensor header, so my MB can read the fan RPMs. ...
                        I haven't hooked up the PS fan header since it seems to require an adapter for my ASUS MB (3-2 pin I seem to recall). Did you have to do anything special? I still need to get some more things working on this HTPC but I've been too darn busy using it to get around to the less important items.

Comment

Try using Motherboard Monitor. Google for MBM and it will come right up.

No, I haven't looked at one, but the more reviews I read, the less they generally liked the Silverstone. For example, it seemed to make out at a 365W load for one reviewer.

I didn't have to do anything for the fan header. MB and fan both had 3 pin headers, though the PS header only had 2 wires attached.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                            Try using Motherboard Monitor. Google for MBM and it will come right up.

No, I haven't looked at one, but the more reviews I read, the less they generally liked the Silverstone. For example, it seemed to make out at a 365W load for one reviewer.

I didn't have to do anything for the fan header. MB and fan both had 3 pin headers, though the PS header only had 2 wires attached.
                            I'll load up MBM when I get a chance and see what it says. I'm not too worried myself since it's run my system at a 25% OC these last eight months. I have an S-ATA HDD and a removable P-ATA HDD in this system along with a multi-format DVD burner. The HTPC also has a HD tuner with DVI daughtercard. I drive all these devices at the same time with the 25% OC so it fits the bill for me. Have you stressed your system much yet? Any problems?

I'll try and dig up the reviews I read last June ... if they're still around.

Comment

I ran CS:S on it last night without any problems. But the system hasn't even been up for 24 hours yet, so I don't know what the temp and fan speed will stabilize at. Still, I wish I had 3.3V instead of 3.2V.

Comment

Working...
                              X