Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memory error message in windows

Hello,

Yesterday, my system (XP SP2) crashed severely; upon reboot it showed "the system has recovered from a serious error".
    Ever since then, whenever I close a "complex" application (i.e. notepad won't cause it, but e.g. winace will), I get this error:

Application Error : The instruction at "0x7c9105f8" referenced memory at "0x02420010". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
    The instruction is always 0x7c9105f8, but the memory addres is always different.
    My DMI event log has not recorded any error messages (memory is ECC).

Can I solve this one way or another, or is this a sign it is time to reinstall my windows...?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

If the memory address is always different first check for viri, spyware, etc. I don't suspect the memory at first sight because the memory address is changing, it could be some other hardware though, but my first guess is some viri, spyware app.
    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

The machine isn't connect to internet (so this minimizes the chances a lot). Virusscanner doesn't show anything...

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Hmm, have you tested your ram?
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Not yet (I didn't have software at my disposal). But I have enabled the detailed memory test at POST.

Besides, as the memory is ECC, I suspect there would be an entry in the DMI Event log (in bios).

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

I've gotten that when I was overclocking and unstable.

Can you do anything with your CPU or RAM voltages?

If I (or somebody else?) has the time, decoding the instruction would be interesting.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I've seen this message on several systems and it never seems like it is the memory. I've seen it on my own system with Photoshop7 and I've seen it on my work laptop with Reflections and some other apps. I think it is a WinXP problem actually. But that is just MHO.
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Since you had a hard crash, maybe you should do a CHKDSK C: /F /V /R and then reboot and let it scan you HDD. Maybe a bad sector on the HDD is cauing your issue because your swap file got damaged? Anyhow, that's all I got for now. Hope it helps.

/F = Fixes errors on the disk
                /V = On NTFS: Displays cleanup messages if any
                /R = Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information

the /R is optional, and will take a long time (about 2 hours on my 100GB C: drive).

I only run it if I suspect bad sectors.
                Last edited by mmp121; 16 February 2005, 14:45.
                Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

It looks like that instruction is a jump. If the instruction is always exactly the same, then it probably involves the same sequence of instructions every time.

Just looks nasty. But since you don't have an ITP setup, you may never know what's actually happening.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Memory test shows no problems, harddisk checked ok...

I'm leaning towards Helvetia's explanation....

I hate reinstalling this system, there is just so much *required* software on it , but it has been running for about 2 years, so all in all I think I'm lucky to have managed to run XP this long *without* having to reinstall...

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

Working...
                    X