IE 7 announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE 7 announced

Firefox apparently has MSFT scared. They've just now announced a new "safer" version of IE which is planned to beta this summer.

<TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

yes, but will it be highly customizable and offer tabbed browsing? Maybe MS should just buy out Opera and bsae it on their tech
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
      yes, but will it be highly customizable and offer tabbed browsing? Maybe MS should just buy out Opera and bsae it on their tech
      I'm with rock on this one, that and they are eliminating the competition with the same stroke. I'm surprised they are choosing go with their own browser tech. They usually just buy out more functional alternatives and use it as their own

Comment

Yes, but IE is all about having the "OS" and "web browser" be inseperable.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I wonder if it'll work on 2K or just XP seeing as how they did not want to make I.E. 6.0SP2 for 2K.

Edit:
          Nevermind. I saw the Slashdot article.
          Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 15 February 2005, 16:09.

Comment

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...5KeynotePR.asp

Comment

about ****ing time.
              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

So utterly excited.
                “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I don't think this will challenge Firefox or Opera feature-wise, as good browser is not written overnight and MS hasn't done anything significant to IE6 in 3 years and it will take time (testing, validating - see SP2 and Longhorn).

It's probably a don't switch to Firefox release (now that larger companies are considering deploying firefox).

Comment

The sad truth is that the developers who worked on IE/Mac had done a great deal of work to further update that browser. We can thank MS for never letting their work see the light of day.

If MS really wanted to fix IE, they would have taken the IE/Mac code-base and updated it (along with porting it to Windows, obviously). But we all know MS is more concerned with the appearance of an updated IE rather than a truly updated version.
                    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Sadly, this release won't do much (if anything at all) with regards to standards compatibility. I don't care if other peoples' computers are insecure because they use a crappy browser, but I do care that all those people using this crappy browser prevent me from enjoying a better-looking, more standards-compliant internet (and thus, make it harder for the competition because there are still idiots who only code for IE - yes, Blizzard Entertainment, I mean you). This also won't make it any nicer for me to be forced into using IE at uni (or crawling under the desk to insert my USB stick into the rear USB ports to run Opera off it), because I don't think MSFT is suddenly going to make IE any more power-user friendly.

AZ
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

and thus, make it harder for the competition because there are still idiots who only code for IE - yes, Blizzard Entertainment, I mean you
                        What dou you mean az? Their site works perfectly well with Firefox.
                        Or are you talking about something WoW based?

Comment

Opera is not as compatible as Firefox.

Comment

I'm talking about theit WoW account creation page, which didn't work with Opera with what seemed to be server-side errors, until I tried IE.

AZ
                            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                            X