No announcement yet.

online addressbook: can it be trusted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• online addressbook: can it be trusted?

Hello,

I just got an email from a friend (indirectly: it was an automated mail) to update my contact details on

Apparently, it is a service similar to Plaxo, where each contact is responsible for his/her own information.

Can such services be trusted?
    Where is the catch (it is free )?

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I would not use it. You did not create the info. I get these all the time at work for business directories that were never contacted by anyone. I have no proof but I believe it is a scam. At the very least, ask your friend first.

Comment

I've just had a similar one this morning from a friend using http://www.bebo.com/ and was wondering whether or not I wanted to put my details in...
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Oh look - check out the "about us" sections in both of the websites and they are the same company... and both VJ and I got a request this morning indepentantly I would say it's definitely some sort of trawling scam.
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I also got an e-mail today from Bebo.com...ah well, 'tis easy to ignore
          All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

I visited the website, and there is a picture of that girl on it. So for it to be a 'random scam' seems to difficult: both a picture and her mailaddress AND link it to me seems to indicate that she has registered there...

That being said: I don't trust it because it is free. And to just enter email and mobile phone number on it... hmm...

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

What is worse is that bebo asks you for your hotmail address and password for access to your address book. Which i think is a bit suspicious

Comment

Also got an email to sign up at ringo last week, I didn't sign up, I read there privacy statement and decided I couldn't trust the company.
                And what would I gain from it "absolutely nothing" so why sign up . Probably they are only trying to gather email adresses.
                Last edited by KeiFront; 15 February 2005, 13:56.
                Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Working...
                X