Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSU Lossless Video Codec

giving the best compression ratio in the lossless video compression field

Low compression - absolutely lossless mode: the data in RGB format after decompression is bitwise equal to the source data. This mode has the smallest compression ratio.

Medium compression - works in YUY2 color space. It means if you had some video in one of 16-bit YUV formats (in most cases it is so) then after decompression the data is equal to the source. And if the source data were in 24-bit RGB, then you loose on RGB to YUV conversion. This mode has much better compression ratio.

Also the codec has so called "visually lossless" modes. It means these modes allow some information losses that are visually unnoticeable giving you compression ratio boost. This is done by denoising, so all you really loose is the noise. In many cases image quality increases.

Good compression - differs from the "Medium compression" by having a slight denoising. Visually image stays the same but compression improves.

High compression - differs from the previous one by stronger denoising. Visually image quality doesn't get worse (in most cases it gets better) and the compression ratio grows further.

Custom - this mode allows to set the denoising parameters to get wanted compression/quality ratio. Parameters are set in a separate window called by the "Advanced" button.
    Anybody has used this codec?

Sounds good, but they don't seem to mention % CPU utilisation, which *might* be a killer on some systems

Comment

I believe I read somewhere last week that it's too slow for capturing purposes, but would be a good one for editing/compositing.
      -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
      2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
      Matrox Parhelia 128
      Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
      Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
      Maxtor 300 GB for video
      Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
      Win XP Pro

At work:
      Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
      Avid Unity Media Network.

Comment

I may try this out.

BTW, what's the diff between YUV and RGB color???

Comment

yuv is more likely to be closer to he native form produced by most capture cards.

rgb usualy involves a internal conversion which may add a few extra bits to a sample (unused)

As I recall yuv is usualy faster when encoding in to mpeg....I think?

Try them both and see how you your setup likes each.

Comment

RGB means red/green/blue, the three primary colours, uncompressed.

YUV is the colour space convention as used in both NTSC and PAL. Y represents the luminance signal, while U and V are the differential chrominance signals derived from R, G and B. YUV is thus compressed. When derived from RGB, the Y signal is about 60% G, 30% R and 10% B, to give a reasonable appearance on monochrome TVs. The U signal is about 0.5(B-Y) and the V is about 0.9(R-Y). This makes it possible to reconstitute the original colours.

However, to complicate the issue, there is a third coding YCbCr, which is often confused for YUV, This has slightly more complex chroma coding with more limited ranges and supports colour spacing from 4:4:4 to 4:1:1 and 4:2:0, with and without co-siting. This is the most commonly used.
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
            X