Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remote control: bluetooth?

Hello,

I'm wondering about some remote control hardware to control htpc applications (movies, dvds, ...). However, I expect to only use it very occasionally.

Now, my PC is equipped with bluetooth, and there is an application for my mobile (bemused) which allows me to remotely control winamp and media player. But it lacks quite some functionality (dvd menus, other applications, ...)
    I have been thinking about buying a portable bluetooth keyboard, such as the ThinkOutside Stowaway keyboard ( http://www.thinkoutside.com/stowawaybt_product.html ).
    (I could use this in combination with my phone, which would have some benefits for me as well; but also as remote control indoors)

I expect I'd be able to use this with most softwares, as long as hotkeys can be assigned.
    Am I right in thinking this, or will I be missing out on quite a lot of functions?
    Are there any downsides I might be missing (ok, bulkyness is one I'm aware of)?

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

If you have, like my buddy, SE610/630, it's definetely possible with this ...

hint, hint: tell us what phone you have first

Comment

If it doesn't have to be bluetooth, but can also be infrared, there is a shop here that carries a nice-looking IR computer remote that plugs in via USB and can also command the mouse pointer for 10 EUR (no typo).

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I'm using a Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard+mouse, and it's very convenient.

For watching mutlimedia content, or browsing the net on the TV in the lounge (10 m away from the PC) it's perfect.

The 2nd head of my P750 is connected to the TV with 4x15m of high quality coaxial video cable.
        A64 3500+ NewCastle @2550 (FSB 255, 10X)
        Abit AV8 v1.1 bios 1.7
        2X256 MB Crucial Ballistix PC4000 (1T Cas 2.0, 2-2-6) @DDR333/FSB255=212MHZ
        LC Power 550 W
        Geforce 6800 GT (Asus V9999GT-TD /128) @428/900 + nvSilencer 5 rev.2
        Thermalright XP-90 + Enermax 92mm fan
        NEC 3520A DVD-RW Firmware 3.04
        SB Audigy 2
        BELINEA 10-17-30
        XP Home SP2 - Via Hyperion Pro 5.00A
        Via IDE accelerator Driver 1.21 Beta
        Via RAID 4.30C driver Via velocity V23 Network driver
        ------------------------------------------
        3DMark05=5024 3DMark03=12508 3DMark01=24352 AquaMark03=70712

Comment

Nowhere: FMA doesn't work with my phone. I have a Nokia 6260 (Symbian Series 60). However, I have a software to remotely control MediaPlayer and WinAmp; and there is a chance of a VNC working (getting ip over bluetooth is the issue here, but I might have found a workaround).

Az: 10 Euro I must admit, I have never seen those things for those prices here.

greinedo: Is it convenient to browse e.g. a dvd menu (without a mouse) ? Does it work with all (most) software?

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

VJ, this is no ordinary price in germany either; it's from a surplus goods reseller (www.pollin.de)

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

No, the Microsoft bluetooth kit is keyboard+mouse.
              In fact 95% you use only the mouse.

Shop our collection of keyboards – Shop these 2 items and explore Microsoft Store for great apps, games, laptops, PCs, and other devices.

The keyboard is used for adjusting sound and shortcuts for programs.
              A64 3500+ NewCastle @2550 (FSB 255, 10X)
              Abit AV8 v1.1 bios 1.7
              2X256 MB Crucial Ballistix PC4000 (1T Cas 2.0, 2-2-6) @DDR333/FSB255=212MHZ
              LC Power 550 W
              Geforce 6800 GT (Asus V9999GT-TD /128) @428/900 + nvSilencer 5 rev.2
              Thermalright XP-90 + Enermax 92mm fan
              NEC 3520A DVD-RW Firmware 3.04
              SB Audigy 2
              BELINEA 10-17-30
              XP Home SP2 - Via Hyperion Pro 5.00A
              Via IDE accelerator Driver 1.21 Beta
              Via RAID 4.30C driver Via velocity V23 Network driver
              ------------------------------------------
              3DMark05=5024 3DMark03=12508 3DMark01=24352 AquaMark03=70712

Comment

You can make your own IR USB remote sensor:

Comment

Also worth noting is that serial is much cheaper/easier to do.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, but I've already had a number of DIY plans and none of them came through (lack of time)... Of course, that IR thingy seems easy enough... But does it work with all softwares (i.e. zoom player, powerdvd, mediaplayer, ....)?

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

Working...
                    X