Next Gen ATI vid card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Gen ATI vid card?

When is the next Gen ATI card supposed to hit the market?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

We're still waiting for this gen to be widely available.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Supposedly R520 aka FUDO is to be announced in Mid-late March (around same time frame as R423 was announced) with "availablity" around Mayish. Least that's what the INQ leads me to believe.
      Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
      MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
      Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
      Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
        We're still waiting for this gen to be widely available.
        Thats why I asked...I tried to get a X800 Pro for my new system and Zipzoomfly sent me an AGP card instead of a PCIe card. I sent it back waited 2 weeks to get it and called them and they said we'll we got more in but they went away the same day, so we'll refund your $$$ since we dont know when we'll get them in again. I have X800XT in my machine thats not mine sort to speak but I can hang out to for a while. I'm temped to get an X850XT, but if they are coming out with a new card in another 3 months might as well hang out till then.

Scott

Comment

I don't like zipzoomfly. This is yet another bad story about them. There are many.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well if they refunded the $$$ then it's not that bad of a story.

Comment

Sigh.

Is there any point in buying a video card ... seems like every week there is a brand new exciting card that costs a god damn fortune and is pretty much unavaliable.

Honestly, just how much more expensive can companies make consumer video cards. They are already reaching $1000 each here in australia, which is a stupid price.
              80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Originally posted by rugger
                Sigh.

Is there any point in buying a video card ... seems like every week there is a brand new exciting card that costs a god damn fortune and is pretty much unavaliable.

Honestly, just how much more expensive can companies make consumer video cards. They are already reaching $1000 each here in australia, which is a stupid price.

Yeah a X850XT-PE is around $799 USD

The X800XL was supposed to retail at 299 or so but goes for more then $150 more because its hard to get. Think thats the thing hurting ATI is that they can't get them out to satifiy the market.

Comment

People thought I was crazy to buy my X800 XT PE for $589 (I even thought I was crazy) back in early August. Looking back, I think it was a smart move.

Dave
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I think things will slow down in videocards:
                    - firstly, Intel and AMD have hit unexpected obstacles with 90nm process, so CPUs won't scale far beyond 4.0/4000+ this year
                    - current high end cards are CPU limited
                    - graphic chip makers will face similar power leakage problems when going 90nm for next gen, which will increase power consumption and heat
                    - power consumption is already pushing the limits (for instance PCP&C has anounced 850W EATX SLI PSU)
                    - short product cycles cost more money
                    - why not wait till Longhorn with refreshes

Also: what's wrong with nVidia 6800 line?

Comment

I dig my $250 6600GT. Runs everything I need to as fast as I need it to, and does dual DVI to boot.

oh yeah, i forgot the fact that it is about 300 million times more stable than any ATI card I ever owned. and the multi-mon kicks ass. oh yeah, and the drivers are fully functional in XP x64.

*shrug*
                      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Yup I'm rather liking the passive 6600GT I've just put in a machine - runs games quite happily at 1600x1200 with quality turned up... and was relatively reasonable as well when compared to the top-end cards.
                        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I'm currently enjoying my 128MB ATI X300SE PCI Express.

Comment

6600GTs are great. I want one.

Have my eyes on the XFX GeForce 6600GT w/Dual DVI...

Comment

I've had really bad experiences with nVidia based cards in the past when it comes to analog picture quality.

I have an xpc at home that I take with me when I work at a certain customer's office. Inside I have a P650 AGP card and a Radeon 9200 based PCI card. When I'm at the customer's office I run dual dvi on the P650 and single dvi on the Radeon. When I'm at home I run whatever monitor I happen to have free. These's days is a Viewsonic G90fb connected via d-sub.

I'd love to have better dx9 support. I have an RC plane and helicopter simulator that I can't use because it bombs out with my p650. I've been waiting for the ATI X800 cards to be available through distibution but it's just not happening.

Is nVidia's d-sub performance still the pits?

Comment

Working...
                              X