Home Stereo advice (KvH?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Stereo advice (KvH?)

My old living room stereo system is dying, and, depending on what the gf has to say about the matter (most probably "no", although she uses it much more than I do), I may get a new system next month.

I need an Amp, CD player, and cassette deck (for backwards compatibility; the cassette deck doesn't have to be new, maybe I'll get one off ebay).

Price limit for amp+cdp is EUR 500, maybe a little higher if there is something really worth the dough for 600. Less than 500, if the sound doesn't suffer, is also OK of course

Requirements (besides good, detailed yet pleasant sound):
    - All three components have to fit optically (because when it's off, it's a piece of furniture)
    - Amp and CDP must share one remote control unit (bonus if the cassette deck does, too)
    - 4 line ins, one phono in, headphone out
    - must be able to play Bach's Toccata and Fugue in d at near-original volume (well, not quite, but loud )

So far, Yamaha definitely have something in the price range (and cassette decks readily available used). The question is: Is it any good? I really like their "titanium" color, but I've also seen silver stuff from them recently, are they phasing titanium out?

I don't need the absolutely newest stuff, if there is something from last year's collection that is good and cheaper (or better and the same price) because it's not the 2005 model line, that's fine of course. I'd even buy used if I knew what to buy...

Thank you in advance for any advice

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Yamaha RXV550 $400.00
    Yamaha DVDS550 $150.00

Should be under EUR 500.00

You could go for a cheaper Sony DVD if you want to save some money. I wouldn't go cheaper on the receiver.

Of course, buy them from a real retailer and listen to different speakers while you're at it. I recommend checking out the B&W DM602 Series 3 if you are in this price category.

Comment

I have speakers and no money to get new/better ones

I really only need stereo, I have no room for surround anyway. Of course, since the RX-V550 is ~300 EUR, if it's good, maybe I'll get it to be future proof...

AZ

Comment

That's the idea.. It's not really much more expensive than getting a stereo receiver. Plus you will need it to play dts or dolby digital tracks on your system. You can tell the receiver there is no center channel.

Comment

Could try Teac their Reference systems seem quite nifty and they are quite neat looking.

Comment

Now that I think about it - I don't think I'll move house within the next four or five years; I really don't need a surround receiver now.

AZ

Comment

Denon F101 system (mini seperates), with matching cassette deck for €516 includes speakers. Looks quite nice n all.

Comment

Working...
              X