Car hire in the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car hire in the USA

It seems there is a lot of 'optional' items when booking hire cars in the US.

Avis Offer me a Base Price and about 6% tax and standard. then there are these optional coverages:

Loss Damage Waiver ( 21.99 USD per day )
    Personal Accident Insurance ( 3.00 USD per day )
    Personal Effects Protection ( 1.95 USD per day )
    Additional Liability Insurance ( 11.95 USD per day )

Which would be another $140 for my 3.5 day hire!

What do I really need?

TIA

T.
    FT.

Would your normal holiday or car insurance cover any of these already?
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Good question. We have yet to get the holiday insurance - I'll see if it is an option when comparing. I don't think my car insurance covers me for any vehicle other than my own.
      FT.

Comment

Most Gold level credit cards will provide free insurance on car rentals if you pay with said credit card.
        some car insurance companies will provide coverage, but generally not.
        and of course, you only need insurance if something unexpected happens
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by gt40
          ... and of course, you only need insurance if something unexpected happens
          Not entirely true. I knew some engineers who would love to pay for the insurance and abuse the heck out of the auto ... like slamming it into reverse while moving forward, etc. What a way to blow off steam while on holiday. I suppose they just had a work hard-play hard attitude but I don't call that fun myself and it's just plain rude. Wonder why insurance rates are so high.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

So what exactly is LDW and what if something happens when I don't have it?

Is ALI just a scam to get more money out of me?
            FT.

Comment

my brothers friend brad and i once took the rental car in palm desert, california out for a spin while skipping the motivational mike ferry speech for the day. we got pissed off because my brother ditched us to go sit with the rich people. so we just left. when we were checking out the mountain thing next to the city i was driving down the road when there was a little turn off you could park your car at. So i thought it was a great area to get pictures. brad was filming and i started to go in not noticing the tiny wire crossing the path.

it scratched the hell out of the hood.

i will forever get car insurance when renting a car from now on.

the end
              www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Do they have an option for the nitro powered Neon?

Comment

We found that dollar rent a car was quite cheap.

Airports are more expensive to rent from.
                  Last edited by Fluff; 9 February 2005, 16:48.

Comment

Funnily enough I went with Dollar as well

Comment

Unfortunately Dollar won't allow different start/end points.

In the UK, insurance is compulsory, I'm not clear what the different ones are over there. Can somebody please advise as the AVIS site doesn't explain.

Incidentally if I book through the AVIS UK site these things aren't optional, and the price works out just a little bit more than having the LDW and not the others.

I do think £185 is a bit much for 3.5 days hire though!
                      FT.

Comment

Dollar allowed me to have different start/end points - although I did book whilst in the US...

Comment

I think they only allow it in some states iirc, and CT ain't one of them!"
                          FT.

Comment

Fat Tone,
                            Budget was the cheapest by far when I was in the us late lst year, do get the damage waver it is simlar to comprehensive. Also get breakdown cover, you never know when you need it.
                            It cost me £470 for 11 days in October for a 7 seater mvp.
                            I believe in NY care insurance is compulsary.

Breezer
                            Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

We went with a Chevrolet Blazer S10 (or simillar) booked through the UK site for £205, all inclusive. I hope that'll cope with the weather!
                              FT.

Comment

Working...
                              X