How to tell Com port use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tell Com port use?

I have a buddy, whose computer I am trying to troubleshoot, connection to a serial device ( RS232. Problem is that windows complains that the port is in use. No matter which of the ports he tries, and this is straight from hyperterminal after a reboot. is there any software out there, which will let us determine what program has opened the port(s) ?

Thanks

Kasper
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Check the config.sys and autoexec.bat

Maybe old mouse drivers or something.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
      Check the config.sys and autoexec.bat

Maybe old mouse drivers or something.
      I'll make him check, but I doubt it as it is a fresh install of windows XPsp2

Comment

seems that this may apply:

hmm..
        if the port is open right after a reboot, I wonder if this is it.. I will talk to him tomorrow and see..

Comment

I think the problem lies in the BIOS. I can't remember which way it went but if you were using an external serial device, you would enable/disable the port and if you were using an internal serial device, you would enable/disable in BIOS.

I'm just thinking out loud. I'm probably wya off, now that I think about it.
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
          X