Ata100 Hd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ata100 Hd?

I'm looking for four ATA 100 HDs with a view to RAIDing them in my server. It would be nice to have as close to 1TB as possible as well as redundancy - so I guess I am looking at 300GB+ drives. Most of these drives are ATA133, but are they backwards compatible? (its for an adaptec 2400A).

What model should I consider? Reliability and total capacity is more important than speed.

Oh, and I can't afford to go SCSI!
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

They'll work in the highest UDMA mode they can. In my experience you should be fine.
    FT.

Comment

The 2400A is an ATA100 card, but Adaptec's site says it supports 48-bit addressing, so it should be able to support the larger drives.

On this side of the pond, I've seen Seagate 300GB ATA drives going for $160.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The Western Digital JB series also seems like a good buy...both me and my friends have had them in our rigs for 2+ years now and they haven't missed a beat
        All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

AFAIK WD drives don't perform in RAID as well as other's.

Otherwise I recommend Seagate, make sure you buy through authorized reseller to get 5-year warranty.

Comment

Cool! Performance is not as important as redundancy.
            I'm gonna go for 300GB drives as I can not justify the price increase for the 400GB ones. A quick search found a 300GB ATA100 Seagate HD for £124. That seems reasonable to me, but not when they are £80 on the other side if the pond
            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Well they're 172 Quid this side of Channel.

Comment

OK, I wont moan too loudly.. but can i moan a little?

Comment

I think I might get me one or two of those biguns when on that side of the pond in a few weeks time
                  FT.

Comment

hmm.... PM me before you go I am looking to get four - so that would be quite a saving

Comment

I considered offering, but it'll be a few weeks and I can make no guarantees of having the time to look. I do intend looking though I wondered what the customs implications might be if found with 6 hard drives, a stash of ram and usb memory sticks?
                      FT.

Comment

Dunno... I don't think it would be an issue as its not enough to sell.. Just dont walk through the 'anything to declare' isle! £240 for 1.2TB of storage is cool though

Comment

£124 isn't bad. They're $180+shipping here, unless on sale.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Cheers!

The Adaptec card hasn't been delivered yet... It should turn up this morning

Comment

Working...
                            X