Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Lan not working

I'm going crazy...

I have two PC and a ADLS modem, all connected to a hub.
    The three worked flawlessy up to a week ago, when my PC begun having problems seeing the cable.

Solved the problem, I'm now facing another one that's making me crazy!
    Now, the other PC doesn't see the network anymore.

Situation:
    My PC works, browse the web, download the mail, everything is ok.
    The Hub has all the ports working (tested with my PC), I have two working lan cards and two working lan cables.

Now, whatever card/cable I plug into the other PC, the result is always the same: the other PC doesn't see the LAN.
    The lan card green light is on.
    Windows says that the cable is connected and everything is ok.
    The Hub says that the PC is connected and when I try to ping, the hub led blink.
    The "ping localhost" command works.
    The network configuration is perfect (IP address, subnet mask)

However, the PC doesn't receive. It can ping only itself...whatever other thing, it doesn't works!!!

Help
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

you have given it a static ip address?
    if not try giving it one.
    that is step one, step two is pouring yourself a strong drink.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

They have a static ip, obviously.
      Why the strong drink?

Comment

more information about your router and net connection please.

i.e. if yor primary pc is making the pppoe/a connection you will need to reset the internet connection sharing.

if your hub is also the the pppoe/a connection point, then we probably need to know model/settings
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Well, it sounds like you verified all cables, all hub ports and one PC, so....I think the other PC has a bad NIC, or crappy drivers, or you have "auto" set for your speed and duplex settngs. Actually the speed/duplex issue I mentioned is the likely cause. I would hard set (manually configure) the speed/duplex on BOTH ends.

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Uhmmm...I'll take a look at the speed/duplex settings.
            I'm going crazy...

@Sasq:
            It's even simplier: the two PC are connected to a hub. Either has working NIC, working configuration, everything ok, but cannot ping each other. And no firewall at all!

Comment

What happens if the 2nd computer is connected directly to the adsl modem?

What did you do to correct the original problem with your computer?

I used to have a hub between two computers and the dsl modem. It never worked correctly, only one computer was accessing the outside at a time. Replaced the hub with a router and everything worked.

dshumake

Comment

Originally posted by dshumake
                What happens if the 2nd computer is connected directly to the adsl modem?

What did you do to correct the original problem with your computer?

I used to have a hub between two computers and the dsl modem. It never worked correctly, only one computer was accessing the outside at a time. Replaced the hub with a router and everything worked.

dshumake
                You probably had only one real world I.P. address to use.

Comment

IPCONFIG and PING are your best friends in this case.

Make sure both PC's have an IP address, then try pinging the other machine. Try it from both PC's.

If you have IP addresses, and yet cannot ping either machine, from either machine, (make sure Windows firewall is disabled) then we can go from there.
                  "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
                    You probably had only one real world I.P. address to use.
                    That is true, but was told that the modem would act as a DHCP server and could run mulitple computers off the hub.

dshumake

Comment

some do, some don't. what's the modem type/brand?

Comment

Ok, ok, solved.
                        The LAN has decided to work again. I'm not asking it why, what matter is that it works.

Comment

Working...
                        X